Friday, December 18, 2020

Dec. 18 | Holiday Ale | Two Roads Brewery

Why We Picked It: A holiday brew we've never had from a brewery we like. 

What Two Roads Says About It: Two Roads Holiday Ale is inspired by the little known Biere de Noel style, a subset of Biere de Garde, both of which originated on small farmhouse breweries in the north of France. Biere de Noel, which translates as “Christmas Beer," tends to exhibit a more malty profile than a typical Biere de Garde. In its native France this special type of ale is brewed by just a handful of small breweries and is only available for the few weeks leading up to Christmas.

Style: Farmhouse Ale

ABV: 7.3%

IBU: N/A 


To Better Know A Brewery: Two Roads Brewing Company was founded in 2012 by four friends who dreamed for years of starting a craft brewery. We foster a “road less traveled” philosophy in the beers we make and how we make them. In that spirit, Phil Markowski, our award-winning Brewmaster and 27 year craft beer veteran has created an extensive lineup that takes a unique twist on classic beer styles. Two Roads was named one of the ten best breweries in America by Paste Magazine and has won many awards including gold for Belgian Lambic style Ale in 2016 at the Great American Beer Festival. 

Two Roads isn’t just the logo on our brewery building, it’s our philosophy. Life always seems to offer up two ways to go. It just so happens, we prefer the one less taken and having some fun along the way – in our lives, our careers and especially for our beers! Now our “road less traveled” philosophy is being brought to life in the beers that we create and how we create them. 

11 comments:

  1. So I guess I should have read the description before cracking this open and taking a swig at 5:01 pm after my one minute commute from the bedroom to the kitchen. I like Two Roads. I think they may be a bit over-hyped but I can't say I've ever really hated any of their beers. And they have a pumpkin beer called Roadsmary's Baby which isn't that bad and has a special place in my heart.

    Anyway, as I poured this I thought it sure seemed dark for a farmhouse. I was mistakenly thinking farmhouse = saison = last night's tasty beverage. Took my first swig and got blasted by the maltiness. Not bad at all, just unexpected. I'm getting some strange little fruity aftertaste that I have been unable to identify and now I'm out of beer. But overall not a bad little beverage. And Untappd informs me I've now had 5 of these Beire de Garde beers. Although I can't really remember any of the other 4. I'll give this 3.5 out of 5 malty saint nicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decentish. Combination of brewery and beer just makes me think of holiday road by Lindsey buckingham. Love that song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a bad beer. It’s a little sweet for my tasting and has a old school can after taste. Like before they lined the aluminum cans and that had the metal twang at the end. Not bad, like yesterday’s more 3.5 out of 5 twangs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We’re passing some milestones in the 24 Days of Beer - yesterday was the last non-holiday beer and today is the last of the cans. I like this one - it’s a little bit more subtle than your typical holiday beer. Malty but not too sweet. Not sure I taste any spice - maybe a little? But that’s better than an overpowering taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a nice holiday beer. I don't think it was outstanding, but it certainly wasn't off in any way. If handed to me at a holiday party, I would happily take one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had this earlier today while frantically trying to close out as much business as post before the holidays. A lot going on at work and I've been a little scatter brained.
    So now, almost 5 hrs later, I barely remember it. Is that the beers fault? Or mine? Probably mine.
    I like two roads. While the majority of their beers are on the high ABV scale for me, they all have a well balanced flavor.
    So, from what I do remember, strong malty flavors, thick texture, boozy aftertaste.
    Cannot recall anything that declared it to be a holiday beer.
    So for that, 2.57/5 do I know you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As holiday beers go this wasn't bad - probably because it wasn't overly spicy at all and just a tad on the sweet side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a very similar experience as Theodore, although it was mostly family chaos and not work (although there was some of that).

    What I remember is pretty much nothing. I even recall thinking how uninteresting it was for a holiday beer. Love them or hate them, holiday beer are rarely boring. This one was. 2 out of 5 fruit cakes

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first swig was a bit of a surprise in terms of maltiness, but I really enjoyed it. Drank it during a work happy hour zoom while the kids were outside hitting each other with snow shovels. 4/5 old fashioned malts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catching up as I got myself behind. On the first taste, I thought "No!" but this one grew on me with every sip. (I thought it was too sweet, but then I was good with it.) Probably not one of my favorites of this run, but it's you know...nice. 2.75/5.00 Ned Schneebly's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not a big saison fan but I am finding this surprisingly delightful, even if it is a farmhouse. Most farmhouses are fine with me.

    ReplyDelete