Friday, December 21, 2012

December 21 - Heavy Seas' Winter Storm Category 5 Ale



Why we picked it:  Because it's a seasonal/Christmas beer and we have tried Heavy Seas' in the past and liked their summer offering.

About Heavy Seas' Winter Storm Category 5 Ale:  Winter Storm may be Hugh’s favorite beer in the Heavy Seas catalogue. Our winter ale draws on hops from the West Coast and the UK for its pronounced bitterness. A mix of pale and darker malts give it its tawny color and its bigger body. True to the style, Winter Storm’s aroma is nutty malts and earthy hops. This is a perfect fall beer, especially because of its warming qualities.

Style: Imperial Extra Special Bitter (ESB)
 
ABV: 7.5%
 
IBUs: 50
 
Availability: October-December
 
Hops: Warrior, UK Goldings, UK Fuggles, Cascade, Centennial
 
Malts: 2-row, Crystal, Caramalt, Chocolate Malt
 
Food Pairings: Brie or Havarti cheese, pan-seared steak, barbecued pork 
 
Glassware: Imperial Pint, Snifter
 
Case Cost$35
 
*website: http://www.hsbeer.com/beer/winter-storm/
 

11 comments:

  1. Claire, Dave, John, and I all approve of this "Category 5 Ale." We would accept it if offered, and then happily request another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah coming on strong with the Ivan parody - love it.

    I wish I had known about this before I had my delicious filet for dinner (see food pairings above.) I don't know - the name is sort of offensive. What were the other options? 8.1 Earthquake? 30 foot tsunami?

    I wish I had some Havarti - for my money the best cheese out there. So good you can't possibly slice it thinner than a deck of cards.

    This beer is really bitter as the IBU of 50 can attest. But it gets props for being a Maryland beer.

    Grade: Peeing right outside a port-a-john

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! Deep dark malty flavors and pronounced hops without any winter spices to muddy te flavors. This is now the 2nd beer of the group that I will buy a case of in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure about this one, but it won me over with each successive sip. Lots of malt and lots of hops result in just a great flavor with that nice lingering bitterness I love. Really good stuff. Grade: 8.5/10

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely liked this one better than the last couple of winter beers. Still a little malty to be my favorite, but I would definitely drink one of these if offered. Although like all Heavy Seas beers, it kind of gives you that feeling that if you have more than one you may forget your name.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rather liked this one. Not sure what about it made me like it so much, probably the 7.5% ABV. It is a little bitter, but I don't mind that. Overall a quality beer. I'll give it a 7.5 out of 10, B+

    ReplyDelete
  7. Felt this one was a little bitter, but it grows on you. Liked last night's better, but this is definitely drinkable.

    And I 100% agree with DJ, havarti is clearly the best all around cheese there is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This beer was ok. I didn't see the guys on "Deadliest Catch" drinking it, so isn't that good of a storm. But I guess I would drink it if I was playing solitaire with a deck of 51 and had a good cigar. I'd pair this one with a cheap hooker and a bad case of the clap. Next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I forgot to post. This week the beer has been outstanding! Must be because the beer is darker, richer and has an edge to it just like this beer (I love the name!). I liked everything about the beer, the fullness, the ABV, the richness but I don't like bitterness which this obviously had. I still thought it was a great beer though.

    Rating 7.8

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great one ..loved it. Rated 8.1/10

    ReplyDelete