Sunday, December 11, 2011

December 11 - Orkney Brewery's Skull Splitter


Happy Birthday Mark Bolter and Dave Johnson


Why we picked it:  Liked the name. 

About Orkney Brewery's Skull SplitterSkull Splitter is our strongest ale: which is named after Thorfinn Einarsson who was the 7th Viking Earl of Orkney. Sophisticated, satiny smooth with a deceptively light character, it is a tribute to our colourful forbear.

On the nose, this strong beer has a fruity malt character, with hints of dark fruit, spicy hop, dates and figs.

On the palate, rich and complex with sweet toasted malt, molasses, fresh and dried fruit and hints of warming spices.

AppearanceA crystal-clear, rich tawny-red colour beer; a tight, smooth head with hints of red and amber colour

AromaJuicy, almost fruity malt character, together with a medley of fresh and dried fruits, dates and figs, hints of ginger and cinnamon spice, hints of vanilla

PalateA rich, fruity, wine-like complexity on the palate includes fresh and dried fruits, warm exotic spices, and light summer citrus fruits

Key IngredientsVery best pale ale malt – and plenty of it – together with crystal and chocolate malts provide a rich, fruity backbone which is perfectly balanced by the spicy herbal character of East Kent Goldings hops

ABV8.5%

Case Cost: $50

16 comments:

  1. Is no one drinking today? I sort of like this one...there's an interesting taste to it. It's strong but not overpowering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like thIs beer and could definitely drink a few of them. I agree that there is an interesting taste to it, but it's tasty. Rating: 7

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy bday DJ and Bolts!

    This beer doesnt exactly taste great. I guess it brings it pretty strong w/the 8.5% ABV though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate figs and dates and that is probably why I do not like this beer. As it went on it had a worse after taste.

    Happy Bday Mark and Cousin Dave! Wish you had a better beer for your bday!

    rank is 5 out of 10

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess the Mad Elf took its toll on many folks yesterday! Hope everyone gets back on track tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was ok, but had a strong aftertaste that I did not love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this beer sucked. Couldn't even finish it.

    Grade: Sober

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had high expectations for this one... I don't think I'm a fan of cherry or malt in my beer

    ReplyDelete
  9. With the way these last couple beers as gone, I might as well soak a fruitcake or panetone in grain alcohol and eat that. Any beer that has any fruit in it's flavor profile needs to be excluded next year. Not as bad as Saturday's honeypiss, but still undrinkable without forcing. I immediately had a healthy snifter of macallan 18 to get the taste out, which only worked a little, still had that aftertaste, so i drank a 1/4 capful of listerine and that did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey everybody, stop posting as anonymous!! It takes all the fun out of it if we don't know who you are. If you don't have a Google account, select Name/URL from the profile options.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So you took the time to complain about folks using anonymous but did not tell everyone what you thought of the beer??

    Is this a clever ploy to throw us off on your comments of fruit cake soaked beer?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a day late with this one and plan on drinking it tonight, along with tonight's beer. I have made a comment each day and identified myself. You on the other hand are on my naughty list - you still haven't posted your name! When you click "Name/URL" you have to type in your name! They don't call me Skull Splitter for nothing...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one is like the other sweet beers in this case. I actually do not mind this one at all. Like with the other sweet ones, I would drink many of them in one sitting unless it was the only choice and I was forced to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not a fan of this beer. Just didn't like the taste. 5 out of 10, D.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't like it and couldn't finish it. It has a bad aftertaste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not a fan. Too heavy and too boozy. Hey, with my awesome beer rating terminology, do you think I have a future in beer judging? So I went through and ranked the first 12 beers. This is third from the bottom. The clubhouse leader at the turn is Affligem followed by Lagunitas (notice, no apostrophe).

    ReplyDelete