Saturday, December 17, 2011

December 17 - New Belgium's Snow Day Winter Ale



Why we picked it:  Thought the name "Snow Day" goes with our holiday theme.

About New Belgium's Snow Day Winter AleIn 2003, we had a massive 37-inch snowstorm over two days in Fort Collins. Everything shut down for a couple days – no work, no school, no cars. The only way you could get around was by ski or toboggan. When we began brewing Snow Day, we looked to this one storm for inspiration. The dark characters of the malt bill reflect the dark stormy sky at the beginning of the snowfall. But on the third day, the sun broke through and everything was glorious! The name Snow Day evoked joyful freedom. Everyone remembers waiting for the school report as little kids. When you heard your school was closed, you suddenly had all day to play in the transformed, white landscape. Well, that’s the kind of emotion we put into this beer.

Pleasantly hoppy, Snow Day carries the subtle chocolate and caramel flavors of a new brewing malt known as Midnight Wheat. The Styrian Golding, Centennial and Cascade hops bring the backbone of hoppy bitterness to complement the roasty undertones. This beer is the deep garnet of a roasted walnut and presents a creamy tan head, floating artfully atop. Snow Day is bold and hoppy, drinkable and strong.  It reminds you to enjoy the unexpected


Serve at 37° F

ABV6.2%

Case Cost: $35

11 comments:

  1. Very excited about this beer. New Belgium's Fat Tire is one of my absolute favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creamy head and looks delightful. Then the aftertaste came. Too bitter for me. I really enjoyed drinking it, too bad. If it were not for the bitter aftertaste, I would really dig this beer.

    I give it a 6.5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying - present tense. Bought a 12-pack at the store in anticipation of liking the first one. Definitely has a robust flavor, but I like it.

    Grade: DUI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liked this better than I thought I would after the first sip. Usually I'm not a huge winter beer fan but before I knew it, I'd finished the beer. Currently on my way to Dave's house to get another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting for this beer since the beginning of the 24 beers if Christmas started. It has been the beer of the month over at my local watering hole, Red Rocks, and I've been avoiding it since it's on the list and didnt want to spoil it. I have to say that it was worth the wait. The beer was everything I like about the winter beers, with its caramel taste. I can't wait to pony up to the bar next time and order more, maybe I'll go over there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liked it, but couldn't drink too many in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I'm a couple days behind...this beer had a strong smell and also a very strong taste. The initial taste wasn't bad, but I could really taste the alcohol in the aftertaste. It's a heavy beer that I could only have a couple of at a time. Maybe a good drink at dinner or after dinner drink. 7.5 out of 10, B-

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't enjoy this. Is anybody even reading this? I'm several days behind. Where's my arch nemesis, Anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Couple days behind? Good god man - Tony weren't you the one calling me out for being a wuss for not starting the contest at midnight the first day? I'm the turtle - slow and steady but I win the race.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. cookies dispensary

    ReplyDelete