Monday, December 19, 2011

December 19 - Salzburger's Stiegl Beer


Why we picked it: Liked the name and recommended by Norm. 

About Salzburger's Stiegl BeerThe path to success leads up ‘The Red Staircase’.The private Salzburg brewery combines tradition and innovation, forming a concept for success that makes Stiegl the strongest beer brand in Austria. The “beer with the red staircase” is an unmistakable symbol in Austria for “the art of brewing at the highest level.” Since 1998, Austria’s leading private brewery has consistently borne the conspicuous and unique brand logo. This means that the symbol of the Stiegl brewery can now be found everywhere, in circulars, TV ads, promotions, on glasses, advertising materials, and even on the furnishings in our house restaurants and shops. Stiegl is the largest private brewery in Austria, and is counted among the most successful companies in the country. The secret of this success: Top quality raw materials and production process, Europe’s most modern brewing technologies, innovative variety of products, motivated employees, commitment to tradition, economic sustainability, down to earth quality and the flexible decision-making structures of a family business.

An elegant, refined beer with a pleasant hop bitterness. Lighter kiln-dried malt gives Stiegl Pilsner a light golden colour. With a marvellous bouquet of the finest Saaz hops, a characteristic bitterness and liveliness, it’s a favourite of beer connoisseurs who love a delicate hop note and fine, aromatic flavour.

Since 1492. Imported Goldbrau Premium Lager Beer. Brewed and bottled by the Stiegl Brewery Salzburg, Austria. Brewed from malts, hops, yeast, mountain spring water according to the “Purity Laws of 1516″.

ABV4.9%

Case Cost: $34

11 comments:

  1. 19 days in a row drinking a beer and it seems like I am drinking alone? Besides being in Warrenton on a Monday afternoon alone in the house, it seems the participation level has waned. This beer did nothing for me. I assume the guys that like to pound beer will love it. Tastes like a typical pilsner to me (it seems you can't tell one pilsner from another). Either that, or my taste buds are shot this far into the contest.

    Rating 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, you can't expect to log on at 2 pm and not be the first to have drunk the beer. I mean, I admit I'd had 3 beers by 2 pm today, but that's not the norm.

    I like this beer. Much better than I expected. Perhaps I don't need to write off all European lagers because of my hatred of Heineken. Actually, I guess it's not that I hate Heineken, I hate the attempt to classify Heineken as a premium beer by people who don't drink beer. Anyway, this beer is like a better version of the Kingfisher. Solidly above average.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much better than I expected. I could definitely drink a few of these and be content. Not my first choice of beer, but way better than the wheat beers. Rating: 6.5

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it - despite it being austrian, it had a very distinct german taste to it. At $34 a case I won't be racing out to buy a 12-pack, but still enjoyed the taste.

    Grade: DUI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another bland beer in my opinion. I neither liked it nor disliked it. I guess I'm going to need a few more of these to make a solid definitive answer. I also agree that there doesn't seem to be anymore enthiaussim about the post anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill

    I agree I am in the minority this week drinking in the afternoon however we only had 5 posts out of 24 people. I figured this week would be a great week to have everyone participate. Where is the Christmas Spirit? The can do attitude to taste a new beer every night this week? Yes I am gaining weight b/c I am drinking a beer every night but its Christmas and who does not put on a few pounds during this time of year? Lets have over 15 posts for the last 5 beers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. EXACTLY - where is everyone. Tony - this is your idea. Call out some people for being so lame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Stiegl is good! I really enjoyed it. I drank it from the bottle, I'm such a rebel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This beer is Excellent!! I would definitely buy this beer for a home stash. Good Pick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm catching up...drinking this beer after drinking the Anderson Valley. Maybe that puts this at a disadvantage since Anderson Valley's Winter Solstice was so good. I think this beer is terribly average. Very bland to me. I'll give it a 6 out of 10, C-

    ReplyDelete