Friday, December 16, 2011

December 16 - Franziskaner Weissbier


Why we picked it: Liked the name and the Franciscan friar on the front.

About Franziskaner WeissbierFrom the moment you pour the beer, your nose is greeted with a welcome scent of orange peel and coriander, which is a wheat beer’s magic at work.

The word Naturtrüb appears on the label, which probably doesn’t mean a lot to many of you. It’s German for unfiltered, which explains the cloudiness you’ll see as you pour it into your stein. The Germans prefer a tall glass for this beer, so plenty of head can develop plenty on top and you can enjoy its golden color, yeast sediment and all.

The flavors are fruity, with a touch of citrus, especially orange, mixed with spice, such as clove beyond the coriander. There’s a touch of other tropical fruits, such as banana. But what’s also noticeable is how smooth this medium-bodied hefeweizen goes down and how clean the finish is. Don’t expect too many hops or too much bitterness.

Some serve this with a slice of orange to complement that orange peel quality; others think that’s sacrilege and far too sweet. Do what you like. Just enjoy it.

ABV5.0%

Case Cost: $32

12 comments:

  1. Seriously tony - all this fruit has to be a cruel joke you're playing on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming into this tasting I loved Wheat beers and especially unfiltered beers. After 16 beers and a myriad of Ale's, I have come to despise my wheat beers and after tasting this unfiltered cloudy piece of crap, I am realizing I am a new man. I am officially converted over to the Ale's!! Yes a slice of orange does make this beer better, and yes it does complement my chocolate covered strawberries I am having for my afternoon happy hour but it just does not do it for me anymore. I am hoping for more Ale's on this list now! Bravo to Katy, Tony and Mark for their selection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing is as good as hitting send button on the last email of the of the work week and being greeted with this beer. I enjoyed its flavor and aromma. I could have a few of these, but more than a couple and I would be tore up from the floor up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strangely I didn't hate this beer. Weird. Very drinkable. Though I have a feeling I'm starting to rate this against the rest of the fruit beers instead of the beers I like to drink.

    Grade: Strong Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  5. This beer was decent. I'd rank it better than the ales, not as good as the lagers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some other useful information about the Franziskaner Weissbier:

    food pairings: blueberry waffles, pork rinds (hot)
    drug pairings: I'm going to pair this with speedballs and report back, God willing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty much done with Hefeweizens at this point. I put it as last on my list of Hefeweizens. And it seems to taste worse as it goes along. Drinking 18 wheat beers has increased my appreciation of Hoegaarden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to dissent with the above comments. I am still into Hefeweizens. This one does make me long for summer and warm weather though. I prefer the ales and dark beers in this cold weather. I do not feel that th orange slice is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first few sips were okay. Then I had to force myself to finish it. Hefeweizens are just generally crappy. Of course, right now I am watching the Wizards lose by 45 points in a preseason game. Everything seems kind of crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't love it, but I like it. I could have a few without any complaints. I drank mine without an orange. I'll give it a 7.5 out of 10. B-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Obviously I love the fruity wheat beers, so I like this one. It has a stronger taste than the other Hefeweizens, but I still think it tastes great.

    ReplyDelete