Monday, December 11, 2017

Day 11: Southern Tier Nu Skool IPA




Why we picked it: As a native of Jamestown, NY, I am a sychophant for Southern Tier, my hometown brewery (We don't have much else). Unfortunately, they were out of the figgy goodness that is the STB 2XMas. However, I thought NuSkool would be a nice way to break up all the stouts and winter brews my cohorts were grabbing.

What Southern Tier has to say:  After over a year of prototyping R&D batches of Nu Skool IPA, this final version is one special beer. It’s an approachable, well-balanced IPA with slight malty sweetness that’s brimming with tropical, fruity, spicy, piney & citrus character. To contrast our IPA (brewed since 2002), which most closely resembles a traditional English IPA in malt & hop bills, we wanted to brew an IPA in a new way. Like craft brewers, hop farmers have come a long way.


This beer showcases just how far we’ve come with alluring aromas & explosive flavors using only new American & experimental hops. There’s no need to add anything else. It’s time to graduate to the next level of hop flavors with Nu Skool IPA.!


ABV: 6%
IBU: 55

Fun Fact: Technically, the brewery is in Lakewood, which adjacent and so small it viewed Jamestown as the big city. Started in 2002, they used the slogan: "Start a brewery in Western New York? Why the hell not!" Why the hell not, indeed!



13 comments:

  1. Scott has forced me to drink this before in his continuing attempt to push Southern Tier Jamestown loyalty on everyone. This is one of my favorite Southern Tiers. Normally that's not saying much since I am still recovering from several of those 2XMAS that he mentions, but in this case, I do like this beer. Good and citrusy. Not sure I'd say "tropical". But definitely citrus. Not Aslin-esque citrus, but still citrus. And I like citrus. I am getting a bit of bitterness on the very end. Not sure what that is, but that's the only thing holding it back. Probably a good sign that I basically just drank the whole thing while I typed this. Off to finish my growler from yesterday. I give this one 7000 out of 10,000 Maniacs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is that 10,000 Maniacs with or without Natalie Merchants, because that will greatly tip the rating value. And don't worry, I'll save you a 2Xmas

      Delete
  2. Ah, an IPA, thank you! I didn't realize Southern Tier was in Jamestown...my freshman college roommate was from Jamestown so I've spent some time there, spent my 21st birthday there as a bridesmaid in her wedding, crazy times. I agree with Bill about the bitterness at the end being a little detracting, but overall I'm happy to have an IPA after all the dark beers. I'll give it a 4 just for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your 21st birthday in Jamestown! First, my condolences. Secondly, did you end up in the Rusty Nail, Saloon, Cherry Lounge, Shawbucks, the Pub. etc. (Seriously, there are not many choices if you went out). Did your roommate go to JHS? It's not that big of a town.

      Delete
    2. OK, so my roommate's sister, Krista Costanzo, graduated JHS in 89. She says she thinks you/were are friend were her cousin - Nathan Arone? And no, I didn't go out anywhere there for my birthday, we stayed wherever it was that we were for the wedding, it may have been some ski resort or something? I should look that up.

      Delete
    3. that was supposed to say "you were/are friends with her cousin"

      Delete
  3. Agree that This IPA is good on it’s own terms and as a contrast to the previous dark beers. Also that it needs a little less bitter aftertaste.

    Also I think “Nü Skööl” should have more umlauts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Southern Tier, and this beer is very high quality. It's very drinkable and refreshing. My only complaint is that it isn't as flavorful as I'd like. They had a pale ale about 5 years ago that they discontinued with a blue label that I loved. I was hoping this would replace that - not quite, but it might be a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I appreciate the seasonal theme of 24 Days, this is my jam: Drinkable and interesting IPAs. While I still prefer STB's 2XIPA (perhaps my fav) and the 2XSMaSH IPA, this is a nice variation with citrus and spiciness. This would be a nice summer appropriate IPA. I would agree with other that a little more flavor would be nice, but I actually like the bitter finish that is common with IPAs. It's a dry finish but didn't overwhelm the pallet. I give it 4.5 Lucille Balls out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hop! Hoppy! Hop Hop Hop! Hop on Pop! Pop digs hops. (At least this pop (w/r/t these hops.) Retro-hop. Post-modern hop. Hopish. Hop-esque. Hopwagonesque! Hopper! Dennis Hopper? (Easy, rider, but hoppier.) Pause a hop - even hoppier: Edward Hopper! Nighthawks; Nighthops! Hopscotch? Just hops. Psych-hops. Tricera-hops? (ROAR!) Jurassic hops! But wait, Hip-hop! Power pop/power-hop! No more, I hope (or hop). And then, "Hop" with Russell Brand, but eh - pop (on Rotten Tomathops, that is!) Time for rating cHop cHop: me likes the hops - 4.75 Phineas DeMink's. (Time to go - gotta hop.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Playing catch up. Was sick for a few days. Then drank wine last night with a former congresswoman. Just how I roll.

    Very tasty brew. Like Shep said - not a winter beer but it's damn good!

    ReplyDelete