Saturday, December 9, 2017

Day 9: Union Snow Pants


Why we picked it: A high-quality Baltimore-based brew and this is its signature winter brew. Plus, an oatmeal stout was a nice addition to the variety.

What Union has to say: Snow Pants Oatmeal Stout is an 8% abv, full-bodied ale packed with flavor. This jet black beer warms the palate with the roasty chocolate flavors of rich dark malt complimented by a gentle, creamy body from a hefty dose of oats. A generous addition of Cascade & Columbus hops provides balance and a bit of a piney character to this tasty winter brew. Winter is here – Its Snow Pants season!


ABV: 8%
IBU: 55


Fun Fact: Situated along the Jones Falls river, in the historic Woodberry neighborhood of Baltimore, the Union Craft Brewery makes great beer and great company. With reverence for tradition and place, Union brews beers that unite old and new ideas, the science and craft of brewing, and boldness and balance of flavor. Founded in the fall of 2011 by Kevin Blodger, Adam Benesch and Jon Zerivitz, brewing operations officially began in the spring of 2012 with the installation of a 20 barrel brewhouse and the initial launch of Duckpin Pale Ale.

6 comments:

  1. Well, Union's description is spot on. It's not my favorite stout, but I like the uniqueness. Maybe I just relate to it too much - its kinda good, but because it's "different", people will give it a "pass". The cascade and piney-ness aren't quite complimentary in this beer, but as I think about it, maybe the dissonance is what makes the beer special. Or I'm just making stuff up at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Union as Duckpin and Double Duckpin are among my favs, plus I highly recommend visiting the brewery in B'more. However, this one is just not my jam. It got better at times but maybe the oats just threw me off. All in all, it just rare for me to like stouts, especially oatmeals. 1 Ebeneezer Scrooge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this one was really lovely. (Note: I have used the word “lovely” to describe a beer, and I stand by it.) I really like the flavor and smoothness, and like the other Union beers, I really dig the face that it comes in a can, and I really dig the whole can/label design. On a side note, a few years ago, frustrated at the fact that I could not fine snow pants for my kids anywhere, I had an idea for a new internet business - I’d call it “snowpanz” and would offer quality snow pants for kids and adults at low prices with fast shipping. I thought I was really onto something until my friend Brian explained you could get all kinds of Snow Pants at Dick’s for like $20. If you are still reading, I give the beer 4 rambling stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post. By the way, snowpanz.com is available on Go Daddy for 99¢

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I drank this last night, but I never pried myself off the couch to actually enter the blog. Embarrassing. Anyway, after drinking the Ommegang tonight, the Snow Pants is looking fabulous. And it already got many bonus points for the name. I'll never be a big oatmeal stout fan. Or any stout fan that isn't Guinness. But this is smooth and tasty. And I do love to love the Union beers. Solid find. Kudos to whoever did the shopping! 3.5 Brady Andersons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I drank this selection in the snow...with my snow pants on. How can I give it anything less than a 4 just for that? Pretty tasty, and I agree better than the Ommegang. 4.25 Warren Millers

    ReplyDelete