Friday, December 22, 2017

Day 22: Flying Dog / Otterbeins




Why we picked it: It was part of the Flying Dog collaboration mix pack, and for me the most appealing. Definitely B'more inspired, hon!  Probably goes great with Royal Farms fried chicken

 What Flying Dog has to say: “Mommy, why aren’t we leaving milk out for Santa?” Virginia asked. “Because milk is for babies”, mother replied. A cookie-inspired ale made for Christmas day pairing, brewed in collaboration with the family from Otterbein’s Cookies, a Baltimore mainstay since 1881.


ABV: 6.8%

IBU: 40

Fun Fact: 
The people of Baltimore have been enjoying Otterbein’s cookies since 1881, when Adam Otterbein arrived from Germany and opened a small bakery near Fort McHenry. Although he made all sorts of traditional German breads and pastries, his thin sugar cookies, cut by hand, were what propelled his modest bakery to success. Today the bakery is run by Adam’s great-grandson, Mark, who spent his teen years competing with other employees to be the fastest cookie-cutter in the bakery.

6 comments:

  1. Flying Dog did it to me again. First the "salted caramel" and now this? It sounded so good! Chocolate and orange is my #1 favorite flavor combo. This tastes like...an IPA? Not terrible, but not what I was expecting at all. 2 Terry's orange chocolates. I wish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too shabby. Not the best, but I kind of liked it for being somewhat subtle and unique. I finally tasted a faint hint of chocolate at the end. I kind of like the idea of adding a chocolate or coffee flavor to a light colored beer just to shake up expectations. Chocolate and orange isn't my favorite combo, but the orange part of the beer came out well. The bitterness was much more interesting from the orange flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I opened this beer at the exact moment that Team Atlanta descended on my house for the next ten days (that would be my sister-in-law's family). Ro took one sip and liked it so I was down to 6 ounces. Due to the duress and tension, I drank that 6 ounces in less than 5 minutes. After our other two Flying Dog "pairing" experiences, I was not expecting any chocolate or orange. And I didn't get any. Maybe a bit of citrus, but pretty much just a standard IPA. I do have another couple in my closet due to our math error so may need to revisit. For now I give it 4 out of 5 Neil Fallons.

    I have since had a couple of Burial beers brought up by my brother in law. Good stuff. Gang of Blades. Not sure exactly what that name means but I like it and a great double IPA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, after Bill’s harrowing tale it seems really petty for me to complain that this beer doesn’t taste like cookies. That being said - hey! This beer doesn’t taste like cookies!

    Even so, I like it a lot. It’s kind of a muted UPA flavor with a little citrus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feared this one, as I don't really want cookie beer. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised and downed this one in hurry, and could have had a few more (which are fortunately some are in garage). It was truly delicious. I got a bit of orange, but it was subtle. I didn't get any chocolate and I'm OK with that. My only knock is that it's not very Christmasy. Still a tasty brew. 4 Cal Ripkens and .5 Billy Ripkens for this B'more inspired brew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm way past due, but this was one of my most anticipated beers, and I feel like history is watching (even if literally no one is looking at the blog anymore.) Anyway, this is easy drinking, and pleasant enough, but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what on earth this beer has to do with Otterbeins, which is my fave B'more cookie. Maybe that malty thing is supposed to be chocolate-y? Anyway, this one is a 3 something for me.

    ReplyDelete