Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Day 6: DC Brau The Stone of Arbroath



Why we picked it: DC Brau is a fantastic local brewery, and this is a fall/winter brew none of us has had (which is kind of remarkable). It's also long boiled ABV. 

What DC Brau has to say:  Stone of Arbroath has a rich, sweet malty aroma with mellow notes of plum and brown sugar. The mouthfeel has a creamy softness with highlights of toffee and intense caramel that are derived from a lengthy 90 minute boil which encourages caramelizing of dense wort sugars. These complemented by a subtle roast character that finishes with a mild acridity that pleasantly coats ones mouth. Coming in at a warming and subdued 8% ABV it will definitely ruffle many a kilt this spring.


ABV: 8%
IBU: 30

Fun Fact: Arbroath is a former royal burgh and the largest town in the council area of Angus in Scotland, and has a population of 23,902. It lies on the North Sea coast, around 16 miles of Dundee and 45 miles from Aberdeen.

8 comments:

  1. I love scotch ales. Scotchy, scotch, scotch ales. Here it does down. Down into my belly. Actually I'm usually not a huge fan of scotch ales (although they are definitely better than actual scotch). But this is pretty awesome. Got that wintry feel to it. Must be the plums. Sweet, but not too sweet and not that harsh maltiness that I find in some scotch ales. Surprised that we found yet another local beer that I had not had, but glad we did. 4 Ron Burgundys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arbroath. Discovered by the Germans in 1904. It's a fact. You can look it up.

      Delete
  2. Shep are you writing these fun facts yourself? Loving it.

    Quite like this. May like this more than last night's stout.

    Weeeeeeee heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Scotch Ale experiences are few and far between. Just never seems like something I'd like. Maybe it was the venue where it was consumed (in the chilly, late Fall air of my front yard watching the kids throw football), but I liked this selection. Seems like a milder Scotch Ale because of the hint of sweetness. I'd go back to this one again. 3.75 Celebrity Jeopardy Sean Connerys

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am a fan of scotch ales. But not the whisky so much. And maybe the tape a little bit. And this scotch ale was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an why we do 24 days of beer. I probably would have never bought this on my own and not sure I will get it again, but it's nice and interesting brew. Agree with Bill that it is sweet, but not overly so and lovely the aroma. Just a nice and pleasant drinking experience. I will give it 3 comfy sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catching up. I thought this one was just ok. I am a huge fan of DC Brau, and while I thought this was solid, I actually think every other beer I have had from the brewery to be superior. My favorite thing about this beer was the name which seemed very Game of Thones-esque. Maybe I am not a huge Scotch ale fan, but I just found the flavor sort of meh. I give it 2 Khaleesi's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost missed this one! But pilfering through my fridge has its benefits. This is a nice beer, a little boozy, but other than that their description is spot on. It's improving as it goes down the glass. Nice caramel malty characteristic to it. The sweetness isn't my favorite, nor the backend bitterness, but it is still a nice winter beer. I love DC Brau so I give it my acceptance.

    ReplyDelete