Saturday, December 9, 2017

Day 8: Flying Dog/Fisher's Popcorn Caramel Lager




Why we picked it: Another part of the high-value of  mix pack of collaborations from Flying Dog. Plus popcorn influenced beer! What could go wrong!

What Flying Dog has to say: Whoever started wasting good popcorn by stringing it up on a tree deserves a good ass whoopin’. This Caramel Lager was brewed with a little help from our friends at Fischer’s Popcorn, family owned and operated for 80 years. If you can spend that much time with family and stay sane, you know the popcorn has to be good. 

ABV: 6.8%
IBU: 23


Fun Fact: Fisher’s Popcorn was opened in 1937 by Everett Fisher on the corner of Talbot Street and the Boardwalk in Downtown Ocean City, Maryland. Everett took great pride in choosing quality ingredients to make his secret caramel recipe, and today we stay true to this assertion. We are still a small family business run by the third generation of Fisher’s and each batch is still made as it was when the store first opened; in copper kettles under the watchful eye of our trained 🍿 chefs.

*** All: My deepest apologies. I thought I had published yesterday, but it never took. Please post!

7 comments:

  1. All apologies for not posting yesterday. I thought I had done it earlier, and due to schedule/illness, I was unable to get to the popcorn beer later and didn't realize it didn't post. Sorry again and I will have to live with this shame for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A day late, but not a dollar short. A little sweet for a lunch time brew, but I'm enjoying it. It doesn't have popcorn texture, which is probably a good thing. Caramel is one of my favorite and has a nice finish to it. 2.75 holiday popcorn balls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I see how this works. Scott knows he won't get to the beer until Saturday and delays the post so he can be first. This was part of the beer overbuy set so Scott does have about 6 of them. I had to attend the matinee show at the 9:30 club last night so the first I heard of this was Joelle complaining about the lack of caramel in her lager. I reminded her it was "inspired by." I got home from my matinee show and cracked this open at 10:45 to pair with Ro's personal ER marathon on some random channel. Yup, tastes like a lager. A mighty standard lager. I guess it's a fine lager, but I feel like I was oversold. Way oversold. 2 out of 5 drunken senior week teens at a Doug Gansler beach house party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I unpacked my beers on Nov 28, this was one I was most looking forward to, being a lover of both caramel and popcorn. Yes, I was sadly disappointed. No trace of caramel as far as I could tell and I didn't even think the lager itself was very good. 1.5 Buddy the elfs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could smell the caramel, but couldn't taste it. Nevertheless, I found this kind of refreshing. I've soured on lagers over the years since my days in grad school when I'd hoard Yuengling in my apartment in Chapel Hill. Sadly, I now realize that "Lager" (which is how you used to order it in PA) tastes kind of skunky to me now and has a lingering mediocre aftertaste. So, any lager that doesn't remind me of Yuengling is fine with me. 2.5 Pottsville Maroons

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a huge fan of this one. I don't like bitterness at the end. Not enough caramel flavor either. If forced to drink a few of these at a Christmas party, I would definitely be up to the challenge, don't get me wrong. It's just not my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly thought I reported om this one in a timely fashion, but apparently not. Not that you have all been obsessing for the last 38 days - "like, what does Dan think of this." Love Fisher's popcorn, but this beer, was not bucket o' caramel popcorn. I give it 2 kernels.

    ReplyDelete