Thursday, December 14, 2017

Day 14: Peak Winter IPA



Why we picked it: Because its organic, and if you don't like it then that means you hate the earth. Why do you hate the earth?! Stop hating the earth! Also, IPAs are awesome and a winter IPA was just to good to resist.

What Peak Brewing has to say:  
Winter IPA is a hazy, hop-bursted New England Style IPA, brewed to brighten things up a bit as the colder weather sets in. Infused with a juicy blend of Calypso, Azacca, Simcoe, and Citra hops, we hope this beer helps keep you warm and happy as we wait for Spring. 


ABV: 6.2%
IBU: 23


Fun Fact: 
Based in Portland, Maine, Peak's mission is to source the finest ingredients to brew the best beer. We work with amazing farmers around the Northeast who are truly growing some of the most fantastic hops, barley, and wheat in the United States. Sourcing directly from farms, we're able to help drive an amazing resurgence in sustainable agriculture in the Northeast, farming practices that put quality and flavor first and foremost. 

8 comments:

  1. My judgment may be clouded b/c I was drinking Miller Lites all afternoon, but I really liked this. Lots of great flavor and no bitterness...4.5 holiday party stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I get it, you can add eleventy kinds of hope to an IPA. So does every other of the thousands of other IPAs. I agree with Joelle that it's not overly bitter and I like that. The aroma is good too. It's still not all that different from the hundreds of other IPAs that are out there on the IPA fad bandwagon. 3.25 organic ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good IPA. For me, it started a little better than it finished. A bit on the earthy side for the aroma and flavor, and the bitterness came on nicely but not too strong at the end. I'm not sure what makes this a winter IPA. It made me feel better about myself while staring at the USDA organic symbol while drinking it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an excellent IPA. More interesting than a lot of session IPA, its got flavor and bite, but there's no lingering bitterness (which I usually don't mind). It's slightly floral, slightly citric and all good. 4.5 organic farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So like Joelle, I spent the afternoon working through a who's who list of bad beers at the office party (those rhyming with Sing-Sing and Killer Sprite). I got home eagerly anticipating this beer. But due to some bizarre happenstance, I somehow got home from my office party before Ro got home from work. I give her at least a sample of each new beer during advent season and so I correctly determined it would be uncool to start without her. So what is a man to do? I decided the Stone Enjoy By Festivus was the proper call. Man I love that beer. Anyway, she arrived home just as I was finishing the Stone. I poured half of this in her glass and was surprised at how "orange and non-hazy" it was. Took a sip and seemed like a decent, standard, but almost sweet IPA. Not what I would describe as a "New England style IPA." I mean, yes, I realize it is an IPA. And I realize Maine is in New England. But when I see New England-style IPA, I want a hazy, juicy glass of refreshing citrus. I did not get that here. Personally I feel this New England IPA thing has gotten a bit out of hand. Everyone is trying to jump on the bandwagon. Examples are this and the new Sierra Holiday Haze. Not hazy. So just say it's an IPA. I'd be much happier. 2.5 out of 5 Paul LePages.

    ReplyDelete