Monday, July 20, 2020

Day 11 | July 20 | Denizens Brewing Animal Hazy IPA





Why We Picked It: Jeremy's pick up directly for the brewery in downtown Silver Spring. Highly recommend their beer garden.

What Denizens Says About It: Our DDH IPA is light and hazy in appearance, highly aromatic, and packed full of juicy hop flavor. It strikes a balance between the notes of tropical flesh fruit, citrus rind, and pine sap showcased in American grown hops. A top seller in our taprooms, this Animal is sure to drive you wild.


ABV: 6%
IBU: 43

Website: 
https://www.denizensbrewingco.com/




What Denizens Says About Denizens: Co-founders Emily, Jeff, & Julie opened the doors to Denizens Brewing Co. in 2014 as the first production brewery in Montgomery County, MD. A place to enjoy great, locally made craft beer in a warm and welcoming space. They were critical in fighting for and succeeding in removing prohibition era laws that paved the way for Denizens and other local beer, wine, and spirit makers to exist and thrive. A successful first 5 years saw us brew over 150 different beers, firmly establish an in-demand flagship lineup, build a loyal and engaged following, host unforgettable events as a space for the community, and in May 2019 we opened our second location in Riverdale Park to serve as a Production House & Taproom. This expansion has allowed us to meet the demand for our increased distribution arm throughout the DMV. We welcome you to a seat at our table. 

12 comments:

  1. THIS IS DA BOMBA!!!
    Love it. It's everything it says it is and more. Say no more say no more.
    Peace out.
    4.5 of 5 DAMN yummies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may have moved up as my favorite so far. Wishing I had another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to their brewery, but after this (and after covid) will give it a try. I assume they call this animal because only an animal would throw so many different types of hops in one beer! I actually have no idea if they do that, but it’s so complex from a hop perspective I feel like they threw just another everything in their and nailed it. I got the pine from the description above in the after taste right away (which I really enjoyed). I also got some nice carbonation that seemed to linger (and I also enjoyed).

    I did not get any fruit or orange peel until about half way through this beer. Then it moved from a pine to a nice citrus after taste. Maybe it’s from the oxidation of it being opened 🤷‍♂️?

    We ate this tonight with some amazing lamb sesame meatballs we saw in food and wine. It paired perfectly and would plan this exact combo again.

    4.72 out of 5 joe Elliot's (this one is a stretch, but I am sure someone will get the animal connection).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed, and I know I'm no genius here, but temperature changes the flavor. I used to hate warm beers but now I actually let it warm up to taste the diferent notes as it warms up.
      Elliot in the morning?

      Delete
    2. Joe Elliot is the lead singer of Def Leppard. Who sang animal. It was the first (weird) thing I thought of when I saw the label.

      Delete
    3. Pour Some Sugar On Me. Worst song of the 90s or of all time? Discuss.

      (Bill- Don't tell Ro.)

      Delete
    4. IMHO, "Pour Some Sugar On Me" is like "Hey Jude" when compared to "Armageddon It!" I mean, WTF does it mean to "Armageddon" something? And, why would you chirp about doing so to a super poppy beat?

      Delete
  4. So another distribution issues caused this one to go missing from my 24. My guess is I gave someone out there two of these... luckv bastard.

    Lucky for me, I am stubborn and insisted on going out an buying a six pack of this from Perfect Pour. A brilliant choice. This one went down fast, but was delicious, refreshing and interesting. Of course, I love a little aromatic citrus and pine in my beer, and Denziens did it just right. Excellent choice for 24DOB Jeremy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you guys had a few when you divied up the beers as it seems you lost track of a few. Either that or your Divine eloped with my Sierra

      Delete
  5. It was nice to have baseball on TV tonight and to have this beer in hand. Fresh, flavorful, nicely hopped, and a cool homage to what I think is the Jersey Devil on the can. See https://pinelandsalliance.org/learn-about-the-pinelands/pinelands-history-and-culture/the-jersey-devil-and-folklore/

    Three cheers for Jeremy for getting this one added to the mix. Great flavor, fragrant - like drinking a bouquet of sweet beer flowers, if that were a thing, and such a thing tasted really, really great.

    3.90/4.00 Mutt Langes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got distracted by a house full of in-laws last night and totally forgot to post. I've been a Denizens denizen pretty much since it opened. But even though I have always liked the place and enjoyed most of the strangely rotating food menu, they didn't have one beer that I absolutely loved. Until this came along. First had this with Jeremy on my first visit to the Riverdale location last September before we made the ill-fated decision to take our children to a UMD soccer game in 100 degree weather. But this beer got us through it. It's pretty much everything I'm looking for in a beer. I must say I was disappointed to come on here and find Def Leppard bashing. As a proud member of Gen X, this aggression will not stand. Great band, great song, and great beer. And in another shoutout to my childhood, I give this 4.5 out of 5 George Steeles.

    ReplyDelete