Saturday, July 18, 2020

Day 9 | July 18 | Union Craft Brewing Duckpin





Why We Picked It: Another local favorite that often goes over well. I haven't been in a few years, but the brewery in Baltimore is worth the trip.

What Union Brewing Say About It: This generously hopped pale ale is a strike in your mouth! Brewed with lots of Pacific Northwest & New Zealand hops this beer is ten frames of big citrus and tropical fruit aroma and flavor. A strong malt backbone rounds it out and makes this pale ale a delight for the senses. The pins may be small but the flavor is huge! In our town, we roll Duckpin—a true Baltimore original.

ABV: 5.5%

IBU: 55

Website: https://www.unioncraftbrewing.com/



What Union Says About Union: Beer is the union of water, barley, hops and yeast. A brewery is the union of beer, its brewers, and the community it serves. Beer Unites! is not just a tagline, it’s the underlying philosophy of everything we believe in as a business. Good beer brings good people together for good times—and good works.

Located within the Union Collective business hub in the Medfield neighborhood of Baltimore, MD, Union Craft Brewing makes great beer and great company. With reverence for tradition and place, we brew beers that unite old and new ideas, the science and craft of brewing, and boldness and balance of flavor.

Founded in the fall of 2011 by Kevin Blodger, Adam Benesch and Jon Zerivitz, brewing operations officially began in the spring of 2012 with the installation of a 20 barrel brewhouse and the initial launch of Duckpin Pale Ale.

After 5 years, UNION moved their production plant and tap room up the road to a 148,000 sq ft, former Sears warehouse that now houses the Union Collective of small, local manufacturers and Earth Treks Climbing gym.

18 comments:

  1. Have had Duckpin a few today’s. The kids and I went fishing at browns bridge today and I brought this with my picnic lunch. Always trickled by Duckpin. I see the description of the “heavy Pacific Northwest hops” then I get so much malt on the backend it just drowns it out. 2 out of 5 small perch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have had Duckpin a few times before today...still can’t type.

      Delete
  2. I always forget how malty this is. I mean, I don’t know what defines a pale ale but this seems to be pushing some truth in labeling boundary. Not necessarily bad but I had a Half Acre pale ale before this and that’s more what I’m looking for since it is 100 degrees and all. I think I just compare all pale ales to Sierra. Probably not fair to Union. But duckpin bowling is just awful. 3 out of 5 Brady Andersons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Duckpin bowling is awful. I was going to go on a tangent about how bad Duckpin bowling and Baltimore style pit beef was so it was fitting this beer was called Duckpin. Like real bowling but worse and more annoying. Which also seemed like a good description for this pale ale. (Also Baltimore our beef always tastes like it’s cooked over a mix of cigarettes and rotten wood).

      However I feel like I have been so negative during this so I didn’t want to. It also felt like and unnecessary shot at very Baltimore things. So props to me for being the bigger man and not doing that.

      P.S. Duckpin more like SuckPin, AmIRite?

      Delete
    2. Wow Adam. Way to go high when they go low. 🤣

      Delete
    3. Nobody reads positive reviews. They are boring. Go snarky and critical. Those are more entertaining.

      Delete
  3. This is one of my all time favorite Pale Ales. Probably in my top 5. It is exactly the way it should be. Perfect balance of caramel malty goodness, hop bitterness and aroma. And it's clear! I can't say enough good about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [Query: Are we on a 4 point or 5 point scale? Or, does it not matter, as DOB beer angels are among other things, math geniuses.]

    Moving on. Yes, the Duckpin is a malty one. But, I really like the fresh taste, and the flavor is interesting and ensures that the pale ale does not fall into a level of watery-paleness that requires an SPF70 sunblock to be drinkable. Truth is, I have enjoyed Duckpin for years, and it's always a go to for me when I am out and not sure what I want. Paired well with that cheeseburger I mentioned.

    3.00/4.00 Greene Turtles for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having mine with a crab cake and Public Image Limited is playing, so all is good (cakes from corner stable, which actually makes decent cakes. Everything else sucks on their menu). - Side note, we're a bitchy bunch.
    Anyway, I like this beer. It's smooth, full flavor and not over the top.
    It seems though that this 24DOB theme is beers that don't taste like what they say they are.
    88 of 100 pins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur Brown is now singing "I put a spell on you". I only say this because it has a Bmore tie. Anyone know the answer?

      Delete
    2. No. We are waiting... Answer?

      Delete
    3. The original performance of the song "I put a spell on you" was done by "Screaming" Jay Hawkins back in 1958.
      I was under the impression that he was from Baltimore, but now that I'm trying to confirm it, I cannot confirm. So all this truly is trivial knowledge.

      Delete
  6. the malt is good and yes I got the caramel too. well balanced and solid. Like it. 4.0 /5

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far, this one and the Galaxy Queen have been my favorites. How much I appreciate a beer really depends on what I'm doing while I drink it. This one, I brought along to drink while I watered my friend's garden while she's on vacation. It was a good diversion. Other beers that I haven't commented on: last night's Oliver Bmore Active was OK but something off, too carbonated or something? The one before that, Big Punisher...too barley-wineish for a summer beer for me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has a good hoppy flavor without being bitter. I hope no ducks were harmed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I drank this one so fast about 9 hours ago, but I had positive experience as usual with Duckpin. Malty but balanced and refreshing. I give 4.5 out of 6 variable scale ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Duckpin is another solid go to and few pale ales have made me say that. I would have drank another if it was available. 3.5 out of 5

    ReplyDelete