Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Day 13 | July 22 | Stone Brewing Stone Notorious POG





Why We Picked It: Wanted to add some daring fruit-forward selections, and this seemed like one. Stone always makes some nice aggressive brews.

What Stone Hill Says About It: We’ve had plenty of fan-favorite beers over the years, but few have garnered the cult-like adoration of this one. Stone Notorious P.O.G. was originally brewed at our 10bbl Liberty Station brewhouse in San Diego, as a collaboration with comedian / actor Jonah Ray. It’s a tribute to the passion fruit, orange and guava juice (aka POG) he grew up drinking in Hawaii. This Berliner Weisse-style ale is loaded with the aforementioned trifecta of fresh, tropical fruits, making for a unique flavor that’s tart and refreshing yet deeply rich and complex. It’s as ridiculously tasty as it is deliciously unique.



This beer was first brewed with Jonah Ray for Hop-Con 4.0. It was such a hit that we decided to brew a limited amount again this year. Jonah grew up playing POGs while he was living in Hawaii and drinking POG Juice so he wanted to create a beer with POG in mind. A very refreshing tart ale with plenty of fruit character. Passion fruit and guava intermingle with an intense orange punch.

ABV: 4.7%
IBU: 20


Website: https://manorhillbrewing.com/

What Stone Says About StoneFounded by Greg Koch and Steve Wagner, Stone Brewing has come a long way since opening in San Diego County in 1996. Now the ninth-largest craft brewer in the U.S., we operate brewing facilities on both coasts – Escondido, California and Richmond, Virginia. On top of making badass beers for over two decades, we operate a number of restaurants and tap rooms as well as the largest craft-centric beer distribution business in the U.S. Our beers are available in all 50 states and more than 40 countries worldwide.

16 comments:

  1. Another sour. Nuff said! Or is it...
    So this one wasn't that bad from a sour/tart perspective, but it is too sweet. I'd classify this in the Zima catagory, not beer.
    I can taste the citrus but it's more like grapefruit.
    I'm drinking it all but won't miss it.
    2.5 of 5 Bartles & Jaymes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope.

    That’s pretty much just my review - Nope.

    My wife and I refer to this type of beer as a “sisters” beer. My wife has 3 younger sisters. Every year for my wife’s birthday in early September we get 4 dozen extra large blue crabs steamed with their house seasoning. They are pretty expensive but its the one time of year we really have blue crabs and they are HUGE compared to most places.

    A few years back on of her sisters offered to bring the beer over. Now, when we host events I get a little picky. I want to buy and provide the things I like, thats usually the main food (sure bring your dip no one wants) and the drinks. I dont want someone saying they will bring something over, then showing up with trash. I dont (really) have expensive tastes, I just like things that don’t taste like trash. I’m a simple guy.

    She shows up with 3 - 6 packs (For 8 adults) one pack of some hard lemonade, one pack for some grapefruit beer, and one of some raspberry explosion beer, which i thought they stopped making.

    I looked at my wife, she said “I’m sorry” and i went right to the store and bought some BEER. Thankfully my father-in-law is a sane person and was just as disappointed and upset as I was.

    From that point on any fruity beer that is just a fruit juice cocktail and does not taste like beer we call this a “sisters beer” in honor of her sisters.

    I award this no points and may god have mercy on your soul. (Insert billy Madison clip if blogspot could handle that)

    P.S. My wife makes a drink that is a guava juice from Aldi and dry Prosecco. This tastes exactly like that. Another type of drink for another time.

    P.P.S Does stone brew local? Why was this the only non-local beer so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops forgot to say where we get the crabs. Casey Crab Co in Laurel. GREAT crabs steamed to go. It can get pricey for the large sizes but it’s WELL worth it.

      Delete
    2. Stone brews in Richmond now. I'll let you decide if that's local or not....

      Delete
    3. Oh really? I had no idea. That’s local for sure. I thought they were from San Diego or something. 🤷‍♂️

      Delete
    4. Awesome story - "raspberry explosion beer" made me laugh out loud.

      Delete
    5. We are not 100 percent local as you will soon discover.

      Delete
  3. Alright, this is quite the "beer." Ro took one sip and referred to it as "fruit punch". I think I should probably just leave it there. Quite sour up front and then the sweetness kicks in. So much sweetness. I couldn't pick guava out of a lineup, but I think it's got to be the guava. Just overpowering. I mean, I finished it and didn't really hate it but again, I'm so thankful that we have this process so I don't have three or five of these sitting in my fridge needing to be drunk. Now that I read the description, I guess it does remind me of that Hawaiian juice they are always pushing at breakfast. Never much of a fan of that either. 2.5 out of 5 Chris Wallaces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually a fan of Stone Brewery, but this one, well, they should just package this in juice boxes and call it a day. (If they did that, btw, I might reconsider and pack them with mu lunch.) I will say, if you are going to have a beer for breakfast, this would be the one.

    The can design reminds me of the PAGANs from Dragnet. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_QRKfv8H4

    1.90/4.00 Connie Swails.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess Stone doesn’t make a beer called “Enjoy by 07/22/20”. I’ve got the same reservations every one else has about another sour beer. But I’ll let it slide because it’s Opening Day Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't hate this, and actually prefer it to Undertow. It was a nice balanced flavor for what it is... but as Theodore's scale described this was a sort of wine cooler stuff going on. I give it 1.5 out of four Zimas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a fruity beer, this is really good. I like that it is more subtle and balanced in it's tartness than the others. It's a very tasty and refreshing beer. One that I could drink a couple of on a hot summer day. Or a hot christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first thoughts were... a) why am I not on a beach while I sip this nice cocktail; b) why is there no paper umbrella in the glass?
    Reminds me of a posh hotel bar I went to in my mid 20s and had a tequila sunrise. Great time was had at the time... Boy these summer 24dobs are making me reminisce big time!!
    Sorry, I am sure if anyone is reading this comment they might think what the hell has this to do with beer?

    ...My point exactly.
    As nice as it is, and although it comes in a can it really isn't beer [imho].
    Give me a beach and I'll have a few. [- which in itself would merit 3.0/5]
    But the fact I was looking forward to a couple of beers, rather than a fruity cocktail, means I can't go higher than 2.7/5

    ReplyDelete