Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Day 12 | July 21 | Manor Hills Hayes Creek Blonde Ale





Why We Picked It: I often overlook Manor Hill. They are so close, so I'm not sure why. Admittedly, I have never loved anything I have had from them. However, we found a case of this unexplored beer and thought we would add it to the mix.

What Manor Hill Says About It: This incredibly aromatic and refreshing warm weather seasonal is brewed with Tangerine peel! It will pour a golden body crowned by a pillowy white head. A slightly tart first sip is complemented nicely by sweet citrus fruit flavors and a mild bready backbone in the finish. It is best enjoyed directly out of a can among friends and sunshine!


ABV: 5%
IBU: No

Website: 
https://manorhillbrewing.com/




What Manor Hill Says About Manor HillLocated on the Marriner family’s 54-acre working farm in Ellicott City, we are home to 14 acres of crops (typically corn, wheat, or soy), 2+ acres of hops, approximately 30 chickens,  several honey bee hives, and more than 20 free-range angus cattle.  Our garden produces tomatoes, herbs, squash and squash blossoms, zucchini, asparagus, blackberries, blueberries, and much more that are  used at our nearby restaurants (Victoria  Gastro Pub and Manor Hill Tavern)

Brewery operations began in June of 2015, making Manor Hill Brewing Howard County’s first farm brewery.  Our head brewer uses high-quality seasonal ingredients to craft hand-made beers from original and unique recipes.   We believe strongly in supporting local and practicing sustainability and work to achieve these values as often as possible.


11 comments:

  1. Oh WOW. Almost 6pm and I'm the first to post.
    Stay focused people. Beer is your life.
    OK, love the manor hill folks. I know tarts and sours are "popular" but it's not my taste.
    So while I think they did a good job delivering a tart beer, AND I'm half way through it. I'm not a fan. Period

    2 of 5 whatevers
    PS. I want everyone to know that I love this 24 DOB and I'm glad our beer selectors are picking beers I'd never pick myself. Thank you little beer picker elves for your services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little beer picker elves is probably one of the best things I've ever been called. I'm going to add it to my LinkedIn profile.

      Delete
    2. I agree, am loving trying new local beers and supporting local during this time is even more important. Thanks beer picker elves.

      Delete
  2. For the record, I drank this two hours ago and have already had another beer so no slacking. Celebrating a house with only my own children in it. I’m a big Manor Hill fan. The label scared me. I usually check out at any mention of “tangerine peel”. But I have become a big fan of the more subtle sours and really like this. At least as much as any beer containing tangerine peel. I give this 3.5 out of 4 Gordon Ramsey rebuilding reality shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not as bad as I was prepared for. I would even declare it as OK. It was refreshing and it wasn't really that tart or that tangerine. I guess it's a blonde. Who knows for sure? I would drink another, but probably not buy a sixer or anything. 2.5 our of of 4 farm brewer's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took 1 sip tasted nothing. Took a second sip got some tart, a few more sips mor tart. Had to step away for like 10 minutes to help one of the kids, came back....all orange. Like how my mom drinks a blue moon with like 10 orange slices in it.

    3.75 out of 5 Victoria Gastro Pubs for the first half.
    2 out of 5 Food Plenty’s (RIP) for the second half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solid rating scales. Someone who knows the their Manor hill history.

      Delete
  5. I agree...not as bad as I expected. I also agree that this tasted like a different beer by the time I was near the end. Very peculiar.I would drink another just to see if that one tasted like a different beer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I needed to take a few days off of drinking. Time to catch up. I didn't read the tart/tangerine part before the first sip, so that was a surprise. I kind of like it, but not my favorite. It is fun, but the tangerine peel is a bit too bitter I guess. But it is quite refreshing so worth the try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A tad too tart, but Mary did fish again tonight this time with a mango salsa - and it paired pretty well. If it hadn't been for the fish and fruit cocktail I'd likely have binned it. But I finished it so I have to give it 2/5.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I remember many a mis-spent summer day in my youth at Hayes Creek. I would get up early in the morning, pack a lunch of peanut butter and dried avocado on hearth baked wheat bread wrapped it in a wet quilt made from hemp to keep the food cool for a few hours. Then, me and my dog Spirit would follow the old mine car trail to the base of the ravine. We would often see old Mr. McMickens who would say "Catch a big one for me, but watch out for ghosts – AND THE GOVERNMENT!" as he would drink cans of Tecate in the summer morn and then continue on his hunt for mushrooms to make what he told us kids was his “perfect granola mix.” Once we got to the ravine, we made a left, then a right - and there we were - at Hayes Creek. And the times we’d have! Improvising a game of stick ball with a discarded paperweight and a section of old pipe. Tying large pieces of broken glass around our feet and skating around in the sand. And then, after our games, we’d sit Creekside and eat our sandwiches. You could always count on Mr. Herman to float down on his $200 Costco kayak and say “Where the are the class 5 rapids? And, hey, you kids have any beer over there?” And then, we’d always laugh and throw our pipes and broken glass at him as he’d furiously paddle away. Ah, Hayes Creek. What a place. But this beer? Not so much. 1.5/4.0.

    ReplyDelete