Monday, July 27, 2020

Day 18 | July 27 | Seven Lock Devil's Alley IPA






Why We Picked It: An underappreciate Montgomery County brewery and an IPA that needs to be tried.

What Seven Locks Says About It: A hop-forward, dry, west coast style IPA with the single purpose of letting the hops shine.  Using a blend Equinox, El Dorado, and Mosaic hops this beer is a nicely bittered, highly aromatic IPA.


ABV: 6.7%

IBU: 65

Website: 
https://www.7locksbrewing.com/

What Seven Locks Says About Seven Locks We started with a simple idea: To create an array of well executed and thoughtful beers to demonstrate our vision of what local craft beer should be. Welcoming, inclusive, and thoughtful in design and execution-we wanted to make sure that we have a beer for everyone and create a unique gathering space for the local community. We’re proud to have established ourselves as an integral part of the local community since 2015. As one of Maryland’s most award-winning breweries, we’re confident that we’ll have a beer for you!


Our taproom and brewery are housed in a 7,200 square foot warehouse in the heart of Rockville, so we’re easy to find and there’s plenty of parking. Stop in for a pint or flight, hang out with friends, watch a game, and enjoy a tasty treat from one of the food trucks in rotation. You can also find our beers at restaurants, bars and retail locations throughout Maryland and DC.
Every Saturday night, we’ve got live music featuring some of the area’s best musicians. And don’t miss the chance to join us in supporting a wide variety of Maryland charities, including something near and dear to our hearts–animal welfare organizations and environmental causes. Check out the calendar for updated listings!
Leave your worries at the door and join us for a pint after work, bring your friends, or meet new ones to watch the game or enjoy live music. You’ll be in good company!

11 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this one. West Coast IPAs are one of my early favs.
    Beer Republics Racer 5
    Lagunitas IPA
    Alpine Beer Company (too many great IPAs)
    Early Balast Point
    AleSmith
    Russian River
    Uinta

    I can go on and on and on and on and on....

    Tic toc is it 5 o'clock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Those are all awesome IPAs. This was not 😞

      I feel like all breweries feel like they need to make an IPA. Then most breweries fall flat. This was closer to the fall flat then a great IPA great IPAs are still the top of the craft brewery. pyramid but that doesn’t mean a brewery needs to make one to be great.

      Delete
  2. This is another great beer benefitting from the unique sequence of events.
    In the realm of IPAs it's just above average, but for someone who's been deprived of IPAs (not due to 24 DOB, I've been drinking lighter beers) this is such an explosion of flavors.
    Keeping it short. 4 of 5 welcome back Carter's

    ReplyDelete
  3. ‘Twas fine. Had it after a long hot day on the beach and it made me not as hot. It’s what I picture a small brewery low end IPA tasting like. 3.5 out of 5 eh’s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my mini rant above I figured I would provide more detail to my review. It had an unwelcome bitterness and alcoholic after taste. Not a solid perfectly balanced hops of a top tier west coast ipa, but a wow this alcohol level is off bitterness. Was not as bad as some of the fruit juices but not great either.

      Delete
  4. This is technically my local brewery I guess. Although the googles tells me Silver Branch is 0.1 miles closer to my house. I've been a few times and none of their beers have ever blown me away. But this is one of my favorites. I liked last night's better. This one has a bit of sweetness that I am not needing in my IPAs. But much better than I expected or remembered. 4 out of 5 wasted years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had this hours ago after walking around in 100 degree heat in Williamsburg, and just now commenting. I really, really like this. I like the bitterness if it doesn't linger and it's an otherwise clean, crisp finish, which is what I got with this one. I actually prefer this to Divine, but I wonder how much external factors (my situation and beer temperature) may have impacted that. However, really enjoyed it and it went down smoothly. 3.6 out of 4 tricorner hats worn by living history performers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up on this one and I really like it. I didn't know this brewery existed. Rockville used to be my stomping grounds. An easy drink with just enough hops. Perhaps a trip to Back to Rockville is in order? Perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did want to like this local brewery, especially as I see its across the road from the apartments in the Twinbrook area where I once lived when I first moved here. So this is my first of 7 bollocks.
    Sorry I meant 7 locks.
    Freudian slip.
    Right from first taste really surprised by the wobbly finish and lack of balance. I think I'll probably finish it, as with further tastes I can get get used to the flavor drop off that amplifies the bitterness together with some strange nuanced flavors that remind me of the water in Camden Locks. Definitely sub par. I think theyve tried to mix too much. 2 bollocks /5

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! True story: I was on a bike ride with my son yesterday and we passed a residence with the address “666” and I joked that the Devil must live there, as anyone else would have petitioned to have the number changed. He just thought it a bad dad joke. (A really bad one at that.).

    Anyway, this beer was way better than both that anecdote and my joke. I have never heard of this brewery, but I liked this so much I want to check it out when things re-open. Everything an IPA should be - I am not keeping track of my own scoring, but I think this is one of my favorites of 24 DOB. Interesting, crisp, clean, fresh. 3.89/4.00 Princes of Darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful beer! One of my favorites of this tasting. Excellent hop character without being too harsh. Nice and fruity flavor with just enough bitterness to support the sweeter than usual flavor. Very refreshing for an IPA, and I must get it again.

    ReplyDelete