Saturday, July 25, 2020

Day 16 | July 25 | Union Brewing Old Pro Summer Seasonal Gose






Why We Picked It: We are fans of Union (obviously since they have three beers in the list) and this is the first of back-to-backs for the west Baltimore brewery. I know it's another gose/sour. But don't worry non-sweet fans, this is the final one of the 24 Days of Beer, Summer edition.

What Union Says About It: A dash of salt. A touch of tart. That’s what makes this unique German-style wheat beer a seasoned professional at serious summer thirst quenching. With its glowing golden color, peach & citrus nose followed by a prickly mouthfeel that leaves a gentle tartness and a dash of salt on the palate, the Old Pro never fails to bring you back for another sip.

ABV: 4.2%



IBU: 10

Website: https://www.unioncraftbrewing.com/





What Union Says About Union Beer is the union of water, barley, hops and yeast. A brewery is the union of beer, its brewers and the community it serves. Beer Unites! is not just a tagline, it’s the underlying philosophy of everything we believe in as a business. Good beer brings good people together for good times—and good works.

Located within the Union Collective business hub in the Medfield neighborhood of Baltimore, MD, Union Craft Brewing makes great beer and great company. With reverence for tradition and place, we brew beers that unite old and new ideas, the science and craft of brewing, and boldness and balance of flavor.

Founded in the fall of 2011 by Kevin Blodger, Adam Benesch and Jon Zerivitz, brewing operations officially began in the spring of 2012 with the installation of a 20 barrel brewhouse and the initial launch of Duckpin Pale Ale.

After 5 years, UNION moved their production plant and tap room up the road to a 148,000 sq ft, former Sears warehouse that now houses the Union Collective of small, local manufacturers and Earth Treks Climbing gym.

8 comments:

  1. While still not a fan of the sours....this one is probably the best one I've had so far. Actually, i am really enjoying it. I also am a big fan of Union. Great place to see a concert too. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to admit, sour week is taking a toll on me. And none of these are that glorious Oliver/Maple Lawn 9% sour. But this is by far the best of the week. It's just a bit sour and nicely salty. No guava, passionfruit, lime, mango, or huckleberries. Good beer for sitting outside on the barely shaded porch on a 90 degree, humid day. Since it recommends pairing this with mini golf, I give it 3.5 out of 5 what's the sound of one hand clappings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Echoing everyone else, I'm close to done with the sours for now. With that said, yesterday's wasn't too bad and this one's a tad better.
    I think at the end of the day, these beers are meant for a hot midday gulp and done. But for me, there are enough tasty EZ-IPAs for that.
    If your going sour, keep it simple, a little sour a little salt and done.
    3.75 of 5 "I'd rather have an IPA"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one isn't too bad, but I don't think the salt adds to the flavor. If it is going to be tart, just go with it. I guess I did like the one with salt and lime, so maybe this one just didn't hit the right balance. But still a pretty good beer. Worth trying once, but not good enough to go back to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had this a few times in the union mix packs. These are all starting to blend. This is more salt and sour then sweet. I drank this on the hot beach today and it hit the spot. However i would not have reached for a second one.

    3.45 out of 5 all the samesies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the last sour of 24DOB and it's a good one. This is what I envision original gose going for: tart but still light and refreshin and no fancy overly sweet fruit elements. 3.25 out of 4.... now on to some hops

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was thirsty. it went down well on a hot day.
    Really not sure how I'd rank it amongst it's 24DOB gose peer group, given none of them was truly memorable to me. I have forgotten them already.
    I will likely have forgotten this one too by the time I hit the blue 'Publish' button in 30 seconds

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I had my first taste of Old Pro, I thought “Damn, that’s salty.” But so are potato chips and French fries, I suppose. Long story short - Union hits it out of the park again, and while not my favorite of theirs, this is sold. Crisp, FRESH, smooth. 3.25/4.00 - this was a very nice sour - props to the angels of beer for electing this one. (I hope, somehow, somewhere, one of them is enjoying a nice mead in a pewter mug somewhere where it is not too ungodly hot to watch how people used to make shoes and books and saddles and what not.).

    ReplyDelete