Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Day 18: Devil's Backbone Danzig





Why We Picked It: A localish beer with a cool name for a porter (didn't realize until later its an A-B property... see below). Side note: I couldn't find new label in good resolution, but liked the old style one above. So I went with it.

What Devli's Backbone Says About It: "Danzig, which we named after a Baltic Sea town, isn’t for the faint of heart… or mouth. It’s a well-balanced, full-bodied blend of a strong English porter and a Germanic black lager, making it smooth with a sneaky high ABV. The intense mix of malts and hops provides flavors of chocolate, coffee, and caramelized sugar. No wonder it won Bronze at the World Beer Cup 2018. It’s full-on! Hence the lightning bolt on the pack."


ABV: 8%

IBU: 28

Fun Facts: "The story about Devils Backbone Brewing Company goes like this. Years ago, our founders, Steve and Heidi Crandall, were on a ski trip in the Alps when they tried their first craft beer, a German Weisse at a brewpub. So to satisfy their thirst for a local haunt that served craft European-style beers, they started a whole brewery complete with a full-on brewpub for locals and visitors. It became a  place where folks could drink and tell stories about their time on the trail or ski slope, or all of the above. They named it Devils Backbone, the same name some brave surveyors, including Thomas Jefferson’s dad, Peter, called this hard-to-summit mountain region almost 300 years ago. Kinda poetic, right?


In 2016 Devils Backbone Brewing Company was acquired by Anheuser-Busch. Since then, we’ve continued to brew award-winning beers that we’re proud of, as well as share our beers with more beer friends than ever before!"


11 comments:

  1. Wait a minute, this isn't named after Glenn? That's disturbing. I'll be drinking this tomorrow. Doctor's orders. Stupid doctors...... 12:01 am counts as tomorrow right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sets up a Thursday night of Danzig, Night Swell, and Old Chub and then I'll be all caught up. All 8% and Ro won't want a sip of any of them. Hold my calls until Noon on Friday.....

      Delete
    2. Made it. As I mentioned on Untappd, I picked this beer based solely on the name. I had no idea Danzig was anything more than a late career one hit side project. Although I sure watched that video a lot in my younger years. I didn't really read the beer description. Poured as black as Glenn's soul so I picked it up expecting a porter. I was completely shocked by the thinness of the first sip. Alright, I'd just finished an Old Chub, but come on. Looked at the description and discovered the root of the problem. I was told there would be no lager in my porter. This is a more unholy alliance than Glenn Danzig and Christopher Walken. Not a fan. At all. But I finished it most quickly. So I'll give it 2.5 out of 5 Mothers. Which sounds horrible. But it's all I've got.

      Delete
  2. Why don't I like chocolate & coffee flavors in beer? I'm a big fan of both separately. Maybe because I like bitter beers and the sweetness somehow goes hand in hand with these ingredients in beer. Oddly, both coffee and chocolate are naturally bitter.
    The world is so confusing and challenging to navigate. How are we supposed to raise kids in these challenging times of upheaval and disruption?
    This is all too much to handle during the holiday season.
    FUN FACT: There's a noticable spike in depression during the holidays.
    WOW, all that from a sip of beer. Who needs a therapist when you have 24DOB. Shep and friends, you truly provide a public service.
    Back to the beer: drinkable. Could do two in a row, but wouldn't say I'm running out to get more. Based on others comments over the last 17 days, I suspect they'll be some positive reviews and I'll defer to you for a true opinion as I believe I may be negatively biased.
    3 out of 4 Ukraines (their in the Baltic sea).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you call a fact about holiday depression a "FUN FACT"?

      Delete
    2. Let's see:
      FUN FACT: Alcohol is a depressant. So are marijuana and a host of other recreational or street drugs.
      Yup, I did it again, your welcome

      Delete
  3. I've generally found most Devil's Backbone brews to be generally just OK. This one is a step above and I would rate it a touch higher than the yesterday's porter. Full body and strong flavor with a good finish. I would definitely have another if I had one. I would make a bunch of Danzig song references here, but really I only know Mother (and maybe a few others that I just confuse for Mother). I give it 3.5 out of 4 Mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked it, but it had an after taste that reminded me of nyquil. I'm not sure I'd get again. But if someone gave it to me, I'd happily drink it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have more Danzig, but could bring you NyQuil.

      Delete
  6. I can't think of any Danzig lyrics that would appropriately describe this beer. That has less to.do with the beer and more to do with my not knowing any Danzig lyrics.

    ReplyDelete