Thursday, December 5, 2019

Day 5: Dogfish Head American Beauty Hazy Ripple IPA





Why We Picked It: Dogfish is cool. Hazy IPAs are cool. The can looks cool. The Grateful Dead are... not really cool, but fine.

What Dogfish Says About It: It’s been a long strange trip indeed, and we’re not about to stop now. After six years and four releases of American Beauty, we’re back with an encore … only this time you haven’t heard the melody. Together with the Grateful Dead, we’re proud to introduce our latest collaborative iteration – American Beauty Hazy Ripple IPA.

Inspired by the Grateful Dead’s beloved “American Beauty” album, American Beauty Hazy Ripple IPA is an unfiltered India Pale Ale brewed with spelt – an ancient heirloom grain that contributes earthy notes and a natural haze – that’s then dosed with a special yeast variety to accentuate hop aromatics.


ABV: 7.0%


IBU: N/A 

Fun Facts: Yeah, Sam Calagione is quite the Dead Head.:

"We, at Dogfish, are inspired by [The Grateful Dead’s] music, along with their unprecedented ability to bridge long-lasting, meaningful connections with fans for decades on end," Sam Calagione, CEO and founder of Dogfish Head, said in a statement. "We’re thrilled to collaborate with the Dead for a second iteration of American Beauty and hope fans of free-spirited music and independent beer will join in welcoming back this classic pale ale."

This time around, Dogfish Head says the collaboration will also involve working with the official Grateful Dead archivist, David Lemieux. "Dogfish Head will partner with Lemieux on a number of projects, including an immersive storytelling experience at their Rehoboth and Milton properties in early February," the brewery explained.


13 comments:

  1. One more call and I can attack this can. Tic Toc... Tic Toc!!! Times moving slow... I need a beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOHOO!!!! Client no show. Drinking on time :-)
    SURPRISE!!! That was my first emotion on my first sip. Wasn't expecting a fruity flavor and at that moment, I enjoyed it. As I continue to drink, the joy is dissipating.
    But over all, I rate this above average. I'd classify it as a specialty, "In the mood" beer that I'd drink one and then switch to something else.
    Fruitiness, undertones of bitterness and hops. (pause... sip...). KUDOS to the brew master, as an exercise of blended flavors and balance, very well done.
    But I'm not running to the store to stock-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the bum of the group? Yous guys must have real jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here to make you feel better Theodore! I like Dogfish, I like Hazy IPAs. I can't say I like this better than Dogfish's usual suspects though. Perhaps nostalgia is affected my taste here. This is not a bad beer by any means and a decent hazy just does not outperform the other stars. 3.5 out of 5. Bitterness does not make it very chugable so 3 out of 5 on Beer Mile Chugability because it tastes better than Bud but would hurt much more in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew,thank God,where have you been? Where's the rest of the crew? I've been sitting in this room for hours. I didn't think anyone was going to show up. Soooo lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drank this three hours ago, so I apologize for the delay in posting it here. This is by far my favorite beer so far and the first one that I would actually buy six of in a packaged form if such delivery device was an option at my local beer store. The description on the can frightened the hell out of me. Spelt and unfiltered and ancient grains and dosing. Not very good marketing there. And then the can art and name reminded me of that time when I had an extra ticket to see the Grateful Dead at RFK in 1995 and I tried to sell it for anything and was surrounded by a bunch of trustafarians asking for a miracle. I ended up selling the ticket for a grilled cheese sandwich and two Busch Lights. And then got scolded for my lack of karma for taking both of the Busch Lights. I told the young hippie wannabe that there are very few things in life you can barter one Busch Light for. So I had a fear that this was going to be some ancient grain Busch Light tasting of dosed unfiltered spelt. But the beer itself was the kind of juicy, haziness that is right up my alley. Love it. I gave it 3.5 stars just to leave room at the top for Celebration Ale.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot my rating. Sidebar: Where were the half stars when we were rating the Def Leppard beer?

      Anyway, I give this one a Jerry, a Bob, a Phil, and half a Pigpen.

      Delete
  7. In other news, it is with deepest sadness that I let you all know that I will be taking a short hiatus from the 24 days of beer. Scott fulfilled my request and picked only cans for the next six days to allow me to transport them on my solo journey to the left coast, but unfortunately he chose six beer that Ro is quite excited about tasting. Initially she thought I was going to leave some here for her to drink and when I said that was unfathomable I at least got her to agree to not drink them without me. But they will be staying here. TSA thanks me in advance since I learned in August that putting cans of beer inside a foam roller is what we call in the industry "a red flag." Next Friday night will feature us splitting 7 beers and possibly finding others and I will make up for my absence with lengthier posts than this one. Carry on without me and stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7 beers in one sitting. Sounds like excellent TV program. Maybe the Drunk History of 24DOB. Safe travels!

      Delete
  8. Drank this one hours ago, but I have fond memories. I recall a nice beer with a touch of haze and a touch of bitterness. Well balanced, but not something that got me super excited either. My favorite so far, but still awaiting an outstanding. I give it 3 jerry the bears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She can dance a Cajun rhythm, jump like a willys in four wheel drive.
    She's a summer love for spring, fall, and winter.
    She can make happy any man alive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice full flavored beer, some interesting notes in there that I can't describe well. I'd say pretty normal mouth feel and smoothness that these hazy IPAs have but this one has a little more character than others. Not my favorite style, but for its style, I really like it.

    ReplyDelete