Thursday, December 19, 2019

Day 19: Oskar Blues Brewery Old Chub






Why We Picked It: Old shool with Old Chub.

What Oskar Blues Says About It: "Old Chub is a brobdingnagian celebration of aggressively shattering the status quo. This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV, 30 IBUs) strays far from conventions, as it’s brewed with a recklessly bodacious amount of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt. It features semi-sweet flavors of cocoa and coffee, and a wee bit of smoke. It’s a powerful, head-turning trip for malt heads and folks who think they don’t dig dark beer."


ABV: 8%

 IBU: 25

Fun Facts: "In 2002, in the funky little town of Lyons, Colorado, we shattered craft beer convention by stuffing our voluminously hopped mutha of a brew, Dale’s Pale Ale, into a portable, crushable, infinitely recyclable can. Craft beer in a can stays fresher for longer, and it’s easy to pack in (and pack out) on any soul-saving adventure. We now operate breweries in Colorado, North Carolina and Texas to provide craft beer in a can to all 50 states, Washington, D.C. and 17 other countries."



5 comments:

  1. The bass play the brass
    The old chub play the tub
    The fluke is the Duke of soul
    The ray he can play
    The lings on the strings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking forward to this one. I love Oskar blue's stuff. They used to make a beer called Fugli (yuzu and ugli fruit) that I loved. I always shied away from this one though because it's 8% ABV.
    This is good. Even though it h
    Too has the coffee and chocolate flavors, they are not as pronounced as the last two we had.
    Still, since I prefer 6% and under beers for home consumption, probably wouldn't stock up on this. Pub, absolutely.
    I give it 3 bagpipes, or lifted kilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all my past experiences with Old Chub are best listed here.

    https://24daysofbeer.blogspot.com/2013/12/december-10-oskar-blues-old-chub-scotch.html

    Anyway, Old Chub has a tendency to show up in my life when I need it the least. Usually at the end of a long night of drinking as that "come on Bill, just one more beer, for old times..." Never a good scene. So anyway, tonight I experienced Old Chub after 72 hours of alcohol free living. Not nearly as boozy and thick as I remembered. I liked it. I'll always prefer my citrusy, hazy IPAs, but this was not bad at all. Very smooth. Which is good. Because I have two more high octane beers in my near future and my mother-in-law for some reason cooked dinner for the children at 5 pm and Ro ate out so I'm looking at a three beer dinner. And one slice of leftover Frankly pizza which was outstanding. This is when I need my Hot Pockets stash from my college days....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing I can say about Scottish ales is they really put a kick in it. Taste never really works for me as the sweet finish is rarely satisfying. Still there are worse beers out there. 2 out of 4 kilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good rendition of a style that is hit or miss with me. Thank god they didn't add smoke. I could sit by a fire and drink many of these in the winter. Very nice malt profile and very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete