Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Day 24: Troegs Independent Brewing Mad Elf






Why We Picked It: Mad Elf is probably the most common member in the history of 24DOB. Also, it's always double digital ABV and can really bring some holiday cheer to Christmas Eve festivities.

What Troegs Says About It: "
The holidays at Tröegs start with our inner Mad Elf momentarily taking over the brew deck. So blame “him” for this cheerful ruby red creation reminiscent of ripened cherries, raw honey and cocoa with notes of cinnamon, clove and allspice. We taste: chocolate malt, cherries, honey, peppercorn."

ABV: 11%


IBU: 15

Fun Facts: I shared this story from BillyPenn in past years, but it is an origin story worth repeating:


"The story begins in Harrisburg, where John and Chris Trogner were presiding over Troegs, then a small brewery that had been open for just six years. They were putting together variety packs for Christmas, not exactly a fun process. It involved them placing different beers into six packs, one-by-one, and the tedium boiled over into what John Trogner describes as “delirium.”


At some point, a delivery truck came with some extra wine barrels. In their delirious state, making a holiday beer and putting it into a wine barrel sounded like a good idea. They discussed cherries and honey for flavor and because it was the holidays the brothers figured “it sure would be nice to have 11 percent beer to go along with friends and family.”

The original recipe for Mad Elf was born. After speaking with a couple of local breweries who expressed interest, the Trogners decided to make a batch of 20 to 30 kegs. But they’d never made a beer as strong as Mad Elf. Their closest was the Troegenator, at 8 percent. They combined cherries, malt and yeast the best way they knew how and let it sit.  

Three days or so later, they were giving a tour of the brewery when John Trogner recalls the intense aroma of honey and cherries. The Troegs brewery did not normally smell of honey and cherries. So they went to check: Turned out the yeast had foamed about three times more than an average beer, and their concoction exploded through the top of the fermenter tank. “It was all over the ground,” Trogner says. “A sea of froth, like 20 feet. It frothed out so much.”

They lost about half the batch. The other half didn’t explode onto a floor, but it went nearly as quickly at local bars. Mad Elf was an immediate success. The name came from Trogner’s brother-in-law during a drunken brainstorming session, and a local Harrisburg artist sketched the image of the elf. 

7 comments:

  1. Always a great way to end 24DOB. A tasty,a fruity and way to start Xmas Eve! Boys are playing quietly with books and legos after first round of Xmas gifts... It's a Christmas miracle! 4 out of 4 Miles Finch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beer that I go way back with.

    https://24daysofbeer.blogspot.com/2011/12/december-10-troegs-mad-elf-ale.html

    This is tasting outstanding tonight. Maybe it's already been a long vacation but I'm going to go with the overused term "smooth". In the past, I remember it being too sweet with all that honey. But the cherries and honey are balancing nicely and I usually steer clear of cherry beers. And this has to be the most subtle 11% ABV beer not brewed by Aslin.

    I'll circle back to this page tomorrow to post my final rankings. Not my best performance for the 24 days of beer. I blame marathons and doctors. But here we are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Christmas Eve, so I decided to be nice, just in case Santa changes his mind last minute.
    Robitussin. That's what this is. At 11%, this would be a huge hit with the highschoolers.
    I CANNOT drink this. I was very excited about having this one but alas, it is not for me.
    1 of 4 cherry elf barfs.
    Hey gang: MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY CHANUKAH, HAPPY KWANZAA.
    Hope Shep will invite me next year as I've thoroughly enjoyed the past 24 days. The good, the bad and the gross.
    Thank you everyone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas! I couldn't remember whether I liked Mad Elf or not but surprisingly I enjoyed it. I didn't think it was over sweet it weirdly spiced. Didn't realize it was 11 pct til I saw these comments, makes sense now! Thanks for having me a part of this again this year, thoroughly entertaining as always!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time for the Ratings! Of course I switched to letter grades to add confusion. Once again, I love this event. Not my best year. And more of yous need to comment.

    Sierra Celebration A
    Troegs Blizzard of Hops A
    DC Brau Penn Quarter Porter with Coffee A
    Red Shedman Door Number 3 A-
    Dogfish American Beauty Hazy Ripple IPA A-
    Brewer's Art Resurrection A-
    Oskar Blues Old Chub B+
    Stone Ghost Hammer B+
    Antietam Berliner Roggen B+
    Manor Hill Amber B
    Jailbreak Over the Line B
    Troegs Mad Elf B-
    Avery Sweater Party C+
    Hysteria Tipping Point C+
    Jailbreak White Russian C
    Boulevard Steep Drop C
    Flying Dog G Thang C
    Hysteria Flippy Floppy C
    Blue Point Winter C
    Devil's Backbone Danzig C
    Heavy Seas Night Swell C-
    Flyig Dog Me Llamo Mole C-
    Anchor Steam Christmas D
    Shiner Bock Holiday Cheer C-

    Alright, those ratings skew high. What can I say. I like beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a D minus for the Shiner. Only avoided an F because it contained alcohol.

      Delete
  6. Love Mad Elf! My best memory of this beer comes from a small bar in NJ that my dad took me to when I was first legal. The place had it on tap and my father was determined to have 3 before leaving. Pretty sure that I did not know what double digit ABV meant at that point but what I di know was that it tasted way better than Natty. I stumbled out of the place at the end and my dad told me to stop being such a wus. 4.5 out of 5. This would be instant death in a beer mile so 2 out of 5 since it would still taste good.

    ReplyDelete