Monday, December 2, 2019

Day 2: Manor Hill Mild Manor'd Amber




Why We Picked It: Another local brewery with a style of beer we wanted to include.
What Manor Hill Says About It: "This was created to bring the world of English Mild Ales together with American Ambers. We use 9 different types of malt together to provide you with a unique experience while still maintaining a nice balance of flavors. Aromas of caramel malt complexity and light berries come through on the nose. The flavor profile is incredibly smooth, with more caramel, along with a touch of biscuit followed by a clean finish."

ABV:
 5.3% 


IBU: 18


Fun Facts: 
Located
on the Marriner family’s 54-acre working farm in Ellicott City, Manor Hill is home to 14 acres of crops (typically corn, wheat, or soy), 2+ acres of hops, approximately 30 chickens,  and more than 20 free-range angus cattle.  The garden produces tomatoes, herbs, squash and squash blossoms, zucchini, asparagus, blackberries, blueberries, and much more that are  used at our nearby restaurants (Victoria  Gastro PubManor Hill Tavern, and Food Plenty).


Brewery operations began in June of 2015, making Manor Hill Brewing Howard County’s first farm brewery.  The head brewer uses high quality seasonal ingredients to craft hand-made beers from original and unique recipes.   Manor Hill believes strongly in supporting local and practicing sustainability and work to achieve these values as often as possible.





12 comments:

  1. I have never been much of a fan of ambers. This one didn't change my mind. It's malty and all that, but otherwise just uninspiring and uninteresting. I literally forgot that I was drinking it at times. On ward and upward. 1.5 out of 4 Tiffani Amber Thiessens

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I started on the wrong foot yesterday, but @Shep really challenged me with the opening beer choice. So let me try and get back on track. This is more in my wheelhouse.
    Not the best example of Ambers, but it is definitely a unique interpretation. This, to me has a subtle link back to yesterday's beer as there is a subtle sourness to it.
    I've had this beer before, and as a one off it works for me, but I wouldn't buy a 6pack. Overall It's not bad, but there are many MUCH better ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave yesterday's a 3, and I'm going to give this one a 2 because it was a bit sour when I wasn't expecting it to be sour. It wasn't terrible, so a 2 is probably a little too low, but there are no half stars, so. How does the voting work, can you see the results somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber and reds have been another gray area of my beer tastes. Lately, reds have not bothered me as much as they have had in the past. My first sip was very unimpressive however this improved slightly with each sip. I am not getting a sour taste like others mentioned. I'm okay with this one. 3.5 out 5, 3.75 out of 5 for Beer Mile Chugability as it tastes way better than Budweiser.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today’s If my Beer was a Human Post:
    Mild Manor’d by Manor Hill.
    Mild Manor’d is appropriate because if this beer was human, it would be smooth like Ice Man but better behaved.
    He, or she, would be underrated but confident in how they are perceived. She doesn’t need to wear excessive jewelry or bling to flaunt her class. Her smooth and refined beauty are pervasive enough to carry the day.
    She doesn’t knock your socks off with a 10/10, but she definitely does enough to keep you coming back for more.
    Enjoy her fellas...
    P.s. did I mention she was a red head?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Solid amber but nothing too special. 3.5/5 waves of grain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if nothing else, this led to a lively debate between Ro and I on the differences between ambers, reds, and browns. Seemed like a solid, basic amber to me. Nothing wrong with it and I can't say I've ever had an amber that has blown my mind and earned more than 3 stars. Based on the 4 star rating system, I predict a minimum of 20 of my 24 beers will rate 3 stars. Probably should have gotten that 3 Stars beer we were looking at on that note. I just have trouble rating any beer less than 3 stars as long as it contains alcohol. So I give this one 3 out of 4 flooded Patapscos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ro and me? Sorry about that. Why won't this let me correct my grammatical errors?

      Delete
  8. This is mild mannered indeed. Downright inoffensive and sadly forgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't remember much about Killian's Red, except that for a while I liked it, and then sort of came to my sense later on. But this particular Amber was sort of weird, flat, and well, I think I am just going to say it - oddly milky. I have had some other Manor Hill beer that I have liked very much, and thinking this must be an aberration. 1.5 duck fat fries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amber is the color of your energy.
    Shades of gold displayed naturally,
    launched a thousand ships in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked this one, especially when it got to be cellar temperature like God intended. Very nice toffee flavors, and just a nice drinkable amber. Very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete