Saturday, December 1, 2018

Day 1: Monument City Pagoda Pale Ale




Why We Chose It: Let's start local! The Baltimore brewery has been putting out quality  beer  since2014, and I am particularly a fan of their 51 Rye (made with 51-percent rye grain... hence the name). 


What Monument City Says About It: Nothing. No really. It's weird and I am not sure what that means. It's not the best website in the world and I'm not sure they do many updates to the content, so hopefully that's what it means... and not that they are trying to hide it from the world. However, nothing was on Untappd, Beer Advocate or RaterMyBeer neither. 

All I could find was a Maryland beer blog, Frank About Beer, that described it as "Pagoda Pale Ale is brewed with Cascade hops (floral and citrus flavors), and is double dry-hopped at the end of production, so you get a ton of beautiful, citrus aroma reminiscent of fresh grapefruit. The initial sensation is that it’s very smooth, and you’ll notice that mild grapefruit flavor in the aftertaste, as well as a bit of sweetness from the darker malt that is used."


ABV: 5.5%
IBU: N/A

Fun Fact: Ever see a MC tap handle. There's a cool story:


"Monument City tap handles are crafted from first growth Douglas Fir cut over one hundred years ago. The wood was originally purposed to construct mash tanks for the Melville Distillery right here in Baltimore around 1910. Starting in the 50's, the vessels were reused to hold vinegar. They were eventually taken off-line as the company transitioned to stainless steel. The wooden tanks were dismantled and reclaimed by local Baltimore woodturning shop Mark Supik & Co. The lumber had to be removed one plank at a time and air dried to allow the wood to slowly stabilize. The lumber was then hand milled into custom three sided tap handles that were designed by Baltimore-based Orange Element and screen printed by Baltimore Print Studios.  Each tap handle is unique and handcrafted, just like our beers."

11 comments:

  1. Have I mentioned how this is the best time of the year? I countdown to the countdown to the 24 days of beer starting in mid-September. I hate Christmas because it is the 25th day of beer and this is over. So yes, I was psyched for this. And still am. However, this first beer is not my favorite. Or even my 1000th favorite. I was excited to try this. I mean it advertises 100% cascade hops which is always a good sign since the world's greatest beer contains 100% cascade hops. But something went wrong after that. It's not the floral, citrusy goodness that Sierra is. Very bitter. Reminds me of Baltimore. Some background on this strange moniker. https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-monument-city-20150815-story.html

    So yeah, I think this is a good reason for the 24 days of beer. I tried a beer I always wanted to try. I don't like it. And I don't have 5 more in my fridge which I would end up drinking out of some strange combination of thriftiness and problem drinking.

    I give this 2 out of 5 John Quincy Adamsessessess (who my grandmother always claimed she was related to with zero evidence although she also claimed she was not related to John Adams which doesn't seem to make sense, but this is the woman who also claimed she was part Native American Elizabeth Warren style).

    Lastly, Go U NU! I fear I am going to need many more beers tonight one way or the other......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't use "strange combination of thriftiness and problem drinking" as the name of your memoir, it is a missed opportunity.

      Delete
  2. I know why their website says nothing about this beer. I mean, it’s not awful, but there’s not much there deserving of a 24 Beers selection. (Comment intermission: That was NOT a fumble Bill!) Drfinitely a citrus smell, but really not much of a citrus flavor. 2 out of 5 Northwestern DB and Baltimore native Alonzo Mayos

    ReplyDelete
  3. This most wonderful of traditions during the most wonderful times of year is underway! It'a a fantastic celebration of beer and happy to have everyone part of it!

    To me, this is a solid, in unspectacular, start. The Cascade hops gave it's usual strong flavors and got more citrus with faint spice than some of my fellow drinkers, but not much on the floral odors. All and all, solid beer, but not likely to seek it out. It does, however, make me want to seek out the namesake Pagoda that sits in Patterson Park in B'more. I give the beer 2.5 Charm City Monuments out of 5.

    Side note: Go Northwest Wildcats! Becuase who can root for Urban Meyer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited to be back in the 24 days! I enjoyed the pagoda. I think Bill is overly harsh. It's a pleasant and easy drinking beer. I could drink it in large quantities. Just waiting for someone to invite me over to do just that.



    Still waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotta disagree with the non-believers on this one. I enjoyed it and thought it was a strong start to the 24 days of beer. Glad to hear back, looking forward to the next 23!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This a great start to the Beer Advent. At first, I was not excited to start out with a pale ale but this one proved me wrong. It was so refreshing and may have changed my view on pales. I could easily drink a 6 pack of these. 3.75 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember a friend of mine who moved from DC right across the street from Patterson Park, in view of the Pagoda. The housing prices in DC were too high, and he and his wife found this awesome townhome in Baltimore. I remember the day that I helped him move in, we were standing in front of his door, talking about the park and the Pagoda (Can you go inside? How long has it been there?) and a pretty rough looking guy stumbled by to use the pay phone that was right next to his house. And then another guy. When we were moving the sofa in, another guy. And another guy. He turned to me and said, "I think I am going to need to do something about that payphone."

    He now lives in Seattle.

    I will always remember that story. I probably can't say the same about this beer. Back to the beer. It was, well, inoffensive. It was not bad. Smooth, nice aroma, but otherwise my reaction was basically - meh.

    It's a lot of pressure being the first beer of the 24 Days of Beer. I think this is awesome, and I am so appreciative to be a part of it - it must be a lot of work for the 24 Days off Beer Team - so, the anticipation of that first beer is gigantic. Is there any beer that can handle that sort of pressure? Probably not. In any event, it's not this one. 2.75/5.00.

    Glad to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Monument brewing, I love Pale Ales, and I love Cascade hops. Perhaps my expectations were a bit high, or maybe my taste buds were off, but this wasn't as good as I expected. It was a bit cloudier than I prefer (I know the kids like their east coast IPAs these days, but call me old fashioned). But the big thing for me was that there was a sort of stale bitterness in the aroma and the at the front when tasting. It only lingered a little bit to the back but, it still detracted from the overall taste. Keep in mind I'm very picky about my pale's so I'd give it a solid 3.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2.8. I've had a lot of Pale Ales in my life, this isnt one of the better ones. Bitter and not something I really enjoyed all the way from start to finish - though undoubtedly if were drinking this in their brewery I'd feel happier and out of local pride would rate it much higher. Its local and I love Baltimore so I want to like it. But drinking at home on its own without the context I have to give it 2.8 hons

    ReplyDelete