Friday, December 14, 2018

Day 14: Jailbreak Special Lady Friend






Why We Picked It: A local IPA we haven't had yet. Yes, please. Plus the name and the artwork. Also, the name is a Big Lebowski reference (a common theme for Jailbreak)

What Jailbreak Says About It: Special Lady Friend is very special indeed, an all Mosaic hazy IPA which results from the culmination of experience gained through the last year or so of thoughtful experimentation with varied yeasts, hops, and procedural techniques. Originating from a sturdy base of 2-row, white wheat, and flaked oats, Special Lady Friend boasts a purified expression of Mosaic, given that Mosaic lupulin constitutes 50% of the dry hop by weight. Overripe pineapple, candied orange, and the fresh essence of blueberry dominate the nose, while the palate experience melds into a pithy melange of tropical fruit, ultimately resulting in a dry, yet soft, elegant finish. Cheers!.

ABV: 7% 

IBU: No (really?)

Fun Facts: "
Jailbreak is a freedom expression. Beginning in 2013, and becoming fully operational in 2014, our artfully crafted beer is meant to be an escape from whatever drama is present in your life. We are made up of professionals from various industries, all brought together by the common desire to make something different and do something with our lives that has more purpose."


Note: We considered a get together for this, but the December schedules have consumed us and its not coming together. However, anyone who is near Columbia tomorrow is invited to stop in for a Celebration (both the beer and the activity).






8 comments:

  1. 8th grade field trip today. People already cringe when I say I teach middle school. Taking all of them on a trip to a place with nice things and expecting them to act right is a whole other story. This field trip was full of traffic, screaming children, and McDonald's guard duty. None of those three things are nice but this beer is surprisingly good. Very refreshing even out of the can. Well done Jailbreak. I left the school very shortly after the last bell and well, here I am now getting ready to drink away any memory of today at my wife's holiday party. Open bar here I come. 4 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised you tasted it all. I'd just be shotgunning everything after a day with middle schoolers.

      Delete
  2. If you read my post about the flying dog east coast IPA, I said that I don't like the hazy IPAs. That might change with this beer. Jailbreak nailed it. The hop haze adds the right amount of smoothness, and the hop aroma and bitterness are spot on. Great beer. I give it a 4

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice hoppy citrusy IPA was a nice change of pace after too many smoky beers at True Respite.

    Also I guess I need to rewatch "Big Lebowski?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is outstanding. Citrusy, hoppy goodness! I purposely avoided this last week when we went to Jailbreak in anticipation of tonight. Thinking now maybe I should have had it then as well. This is the first beer this year that I am tempted to jump in my car and go buy a sixer of. Tomorrow. Not usually a huge Jailbreak fan (although the porter I had there last week was great). So good to find one of their beers that I really like. 4.25 out of 5 Benchwarming Joe Flaccos.

    The main disappointment here is that my special lady friend (let's call her Ro) is not a fan. So that will make it controversial to start buying sixers of this. But it does give me 11.5 ounces tonight!

    And yes Jay, you do need to watch the Big Lebowski again. And yes Andrew, middle school kids do indeed suck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's all about trying to help her conceive, man.

    That being said, this is a fantastic beer. I wanted to be controversial, but this really just delicious. It's citrusy with bite and nice clean finish. I like Jailbreak, but believe they often try too hard and overdo it... but this has a great balance for an IPA. I give it 4.5 out of 5 rugs that tie the room together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto. From the name to the effervescent pour tto citrusy goodness Special Lady Friend has it all. Also, I think my grandmother asked me once while in grad school if I had a special lady friend. “Well he’ll damn,” as she would say.
    I enjoyed this while watching a colorized rerun of The Dick Van Dyke show on CBS. I have a father who was a connoisseur of 1960s sitcom reruns so this was a nostalgic treat. 4.5 out 5 Rob Petries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's to the 24 DOB Curators for getting this one on the list - well done. I am a big fan of Jailbreak Brewery, and this may be my new favorite beer of theirs. I have not seen it, or heard of it before 24 DOB, and tasting this one really makes me want to get to Jailbreaks tasting room on Route 1 to see what else they have up their sleeve. Fresh! Hoppy! Citrusy! Smooth! 4.5/5.0. I am going a bit out of order on the beers, but this may be my favorite one yet.

    ReplyDelete