Monday, December 10, 2018

Day 10: Flying Dog Kujo Cold Brew Coffee Porter





Why We Picked It: We went back to a favorite local brewery with Flying Dog, and also kept up a run of a porter (the second of three in a row). The cold coffee concept was pretty hard to resist.

What Flying Dog Says About It: “Enjoy your new pet!” he said. Twelve hours later, your heart is pounding with terror as you wake up to find the savage beast growling over a puddle of your neighbor’s organs. And that’s not coffee on your breath this morning, it’s fear. Sleep tight my friend. 


ABV: 6% 
IBU: 15 IBU
Coffee: Brewed with local roaster Vigilante Coffee 

Fun Facts: 

For those of you who haven't read into it, the history of Flying Dog (from the Hunter S. Thompson connection to the move to Frederick to the free speech court case), but the origin story, including the name, may be most interesting: "In 1983, George Stranahan [founder], Richard McIntyre and a crew of 10 close friends decided to climb the K2 mountain in the Himalayas, the second highest mountain peak in the world. The story goes that they had with them a suitcase of contraband, a donkey, and a Sherpa. About halfway through the trip, the contraband was depleted and their Sherpa had suffered a broken leg. Eventually, the entire crew made it back unharmed. After the trek, the group settled in the Flashman Hotel in Rawalpindi, Pakistan to have a drink. Hanging on a wall of the hotel was a painting of a flying dog made by a local Pakistani woman, Fatima Jinnah. The painting depicts a classical Chinese Fawn Pug with wings soaring across the verdant foothills of the Himalayas."

7 comments:

  1. Somehow I managed to make it until 5:15 before opening this. Despite the fact that it was sitting tantalizingly in my fridge a mere 20 feet from me all day. And it's perfect porter weather. And I was sleepy. I made due with standard coffee though and here we are. I think after last night's comments, I have concluded that I like my porters thicker. This one isn't exactly along those lines, but I'm really liking the coffee. Doesn't seem that strong a flavor to me but then again, I like coffee flavoring. Pretty tasty beer in my opinion. Definitely like it better than last night due to the addition of the cold brew. I give it 3.75 out of 5 Walter Bonattis (21,188 out of 28,251).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like coffee. I like beer. Maybe I just don’t like coffee in my beer. I’ve been trying for years to find one of these flavored dark beers that I truly enjoy. Maybe it’s just not going to happen. Today’s selection just made he want to go back to last night’s selection. Or maybe just a Guinness. Is that so wrong? 2.5 Kirk Cousins 27 yard-passing first halves

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I made my opinions known about brewing additions (I don't normally prefer them) , but I really like it when brewers find a flavor from the beer ingredients and compliment it subtly. This one does exactly that. I like the flavor quite a bit and the aroma is very enticing. It is just a tiny bit too sweet for me, but that is kind of nit picking. I'd give it a 4. If forced to assign a number.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently I'm a porter guy now. Maybe I'm just giddy from the Seahawks ugly dominance tonight, but this really a delicious beer. A bit richer and fuller coffee (as expected) than the other porters, and I liked the nice finish a bit better than yesterday's brew. I give it 4.25 neon green uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! Coffee was subtle but definitely a positive addition (even though I dont like cold coffee). Yes I'm surprised. But Good old Flying Dog! Couldn't fault it. Not too complex, but I would only want balanced/unfolding complex - rather than 'confusing complex' from in-yer-face flavor additions. Would liked to have had back to back comparison with yesterdays disco for preference. But because I cant do like for like and cant remember yesterday, I'll go with 4.1 this time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta love the Flying Dog artwork on this one. Still if a beer is called Kujo, I would expect the ABV to be higher. That doesn't mean I don't like it though. I could easily kill a 6 pack of these in a night. 3.75 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, if we put this in office building coffee pots all over the world, just think how much more pleasant meetings would be. I liked the coffee flavor, and the overall body/taste didn't bring this into the category of the really heavy porters that I don't tend to enjoy. Well done, I say! Also, I liked Kujo much better than "Cujo" - not one of my favorite Stephen King film adaptations. 3.99/5.00 Danny Pinatauro's.

    ReplyDelete