Saturday, December 15, 2018

Day 15: Sierra Nevada Celebration




Why we picked it: Voted most popular last year, Celebration is the most regular participating beer in the history of 24DOB. We generally avoid repeats since its contrary to one of the objectives of beer advent. However, it would now seem weird to have a 24DOB without it. Coincidentally, we had it exactly one year ago today. 

What Sierra Nevada has to say: The start of Celebration season is a festive event. We can’t start brewing until the first fresh hops have arrived, but once they have the season is officially under way! First brewed in 1981, Celebration Ale is one of the earliest examples of an American-style IPA and one of the few hop-forward holiday beers. Famous for its intense citrus and pine aromas, Celebration is bold and intense, featuring Cascade, Centennial and Chinook hops—honoring everything we have at Sierra Nevada. 

ABV: 6.8%
IBU: 65
Food Pairings: Cuisine -  Fish and Chips, Roasted Turkey and Dressing, Polenta and Grilled Vegetables; Cheese - Parmagiano Reggiano, Manchego



Fun Facts: OK, not really fun, but wanted to share. As a godfather of the microbrew movement, some of us know Sierra Nevada's operation are in the heart of the Camp Fire area. They have set up a fund supporting the recovery of the surrounding area.  Read more.

Additionally, They are created a beer -- appropriately named Resilience IPA -- that is 100% for the fund. And rather than limit it to themselve, they asked others brewers to make it too -- more than 1,200 have already agreed! So in a few weeks, you will be able to find it at Bluejacket in D.C., True Respite in Rockville, Atlas in D.C., POrt City in Alexandria, and many others. It's a very cool story that says a lot about the brewery community. Read more and you can see a list of all the breweries serving Resilience here.





5 comments:

  1. I think everything to be said about this beer has already been said. See my blog posts from 2011 and 2014. Now that I am involved in the purchasing, I don't see a reason we won't buy this every year. As I've mentioned before, a few times they seem to have made radical shifts in the recipe, but recently it seems very consistent. Which is good. Ro and I split the "official" 24 days of beer bottle and I am currently on my second bottle. With a few more in the fridge. Almost bought a 12 pack yesterday even though I have a sixer in my fridge. I may have a problem. But you know what doesn't have a problem? This beer. So good. Even pairs well with monsoons and flooding. 5 out of 5 Resiliences (since I used Aaron Rodgers last year and he isn't exactly carrying my fantasy team this year). I went up to True Respite last night. Was hoping the Resilience was ready but not yet. I forgot to ask Bryce Harper, the bartender, when it will be ready. I plan on personally rebuilding Paradise through beer consumption. I did my part with the Abita Restoration Ale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is not to like about Celebration? Even though it's hoppy, its label art brings memories of the cold winter days leading up to the holidays. This beer has always been a crowd pleaser at the parties I have brought it to, as well.

    This was also a good way to celebrate making it through the 8th grade field trip. Any teacher making it through a middle school field trip should be handed one of these immediately on completion in my mind. 4 out 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always one of my favorites. A staple of 24DOB, as it should be. Festive, but balanced and flavorful. Has one - among many - during our holiday party last night, and likely to pick up more later this week. I give it 4.75 out of 5 elves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a classic beer. It's so well balanced and just plain great tasting. I don't have anything bad to say about it, I give it a 4.5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this beer enjoyed it at Shep's yesterday and enjoying it again. Nice to meet several other 24dob guys there!

    ReplyDelete