Monday, December 17, 2018

Day 17: Sierra Nevada Narwhal Imperial Stout





Why we picked it: Imperial means better, right? regardless, a quality brewery with a pretty bad ass artwork on the bottle. Our second Sierra Nevada in three days and our second straight start. 

What Sierra Nevada has to say: Narwhal Imperial Stout is inspired by the mysterious creature that thrives in the deepest fathoms of the frigid Arctic Ocean. Featuring incredible depth of malt flavor, rich with notes of espresso, baker’s cocoa, roasted grain and a light hint of smoke, Narwhal is a massive malt-forward monster. Aggressive but refined with a velvety smooth body and decadent finish, Narwhal will age in the bottle for years to come.

ABV: 10.2%

IBU: 60
Food Pairings: Cusine -  Chocolate Mousse, Braised Short Ribs, Tart Raspberry Cheesecake; Cheese - Gorgonzola.

Fun Facts: Per National Geograpic, "The narwhal is the unicorn of the sea, a pale-colored porpoise found in Arctic coastal waters and rivers. Narhwal Tusks. These legendary animals have two teeth. In males, the more prominent tooth grows into a swordlike, spiral tusk up to 8.8 feet long. The ivory tusk tooth grows right through thenarwhal's upper lip." (editors note: Until recently, I thought narwhals were mythical. I blame the Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer movie of my childhood. scape. 

6 comments:

  1. Whoa, that does not hide the 10% at all. I almost cracked this open at 12:30 this afternoon when my clothes washer caught fire (I really wish I was kidding), but I held off. Probably for the best. I mean, I'm not sure why I thought a 10% ABV imperial stout would be a smooth, milky stout, but this most certainly is not. Smells like booze. Tastes like booze. Burns like booze. I thought I'd had this before and liked it. Checked the historical records and I was drinking this during last year's Music City Bowl when Clayton Thorson tore his ACL on an ill-advised (but successful) quarterback reception. Didn't like it then either. That game ended on a positive note just like pretty much any night that starts with a 10% ABV beer will end on a good note, but the process is painful. And burning. I like my stouts bitter and roasty or else milky and smooth. This is neither. I should add that it tastes almost smokey to me. But that may just be the residual effects of the clothes washer fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so drunk after finishing this beer that I forgot to rate it! 2 out of 5 Twilight Sparkles. And that’s only because it gets you drunk.

      Delete
  2. Starting off Monday hot with this high ABV boy. Imperial stouts are my beer of choice and I like them for some of the reasons that Bill listed off as not liking. The burn and booze! I really wish I had something to report from today that necessitates drinking this on a Monday but other than the middle schoolers smelling Winter Break, I got nothing. That normally means something bad is coming unfortunately. I'm sure there will be a surprise this week. 4 out of 5 for booze and burn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost had this earlier, but feared it would put me to sleep. In retrospect, a good choice. That being said, this is my type of stout (contrary to last night). It's boozy and roasted and I picked up the espresso. I didn't get much smoke, but thatst probably for best. All in all, a delicious smooth stout. Also, 50-50 chance that it leads to me to fall asleep on couch watching football. Rating: 4 out of 5 Buddy the Elfs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ick. I almost didn’t finish it. 1.5 out of 5 Jason Whittens. (ESPN can’t bring that guy back to Monday Night Football. He’s worse than, well, this Narwhal Imperial Stout.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is a great beer. I wouldn't call it an imperial stout, though. I'd call it an imperial black IPA. The initial hop aroma was intense but faded a bit throughout the beer and become more of a stilton cheese aroma to me, which actually made me very happy. The bitterness on the back was great, and it was extremely enjoyable. I had just tasted an amazing Oscar Blues imperial stout that *was* very true to form, but this one had even more character. I'd give it 5 levels through the candy cane forrest (7 if we were on that scale. Favorite beer of the event so far. Funny, I didn't find it 'boozy' at all, but I guess I could see how people thought that. I might have one on christmas morning just to double check.

    ReplyDelete