Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Day 12: Anderson Valley The Kimmie, The Yink and The Holy Gose Ale



Why We Picked It: We were looking for a gose or sour to add to the mix, and this seemed like a good one. 

What Anderson Valley Says About It: With a bright, golden color and tight creamy head, the earthy wood undertones in our Gose develop into a light mineral aroma with a hint of lemon zest and tropical fruit. Before boiling, the wort is kettle soured with lactobacillus, imparting an initial refreshing tartness that gives way to a subtle fullness. Flavors of guava and peach are followed by a slight sea salt dryness and lemon sourness that is enhanced by coriander and post-fermentation additions of salt. The finish is dry, effervescent, and lemon tangy, reminiscent of a fresh sea breeze.


ABV: 5% 

IBU: 12 IBU
Glassware: Stange, Pint glass

Fun Facts: Per Anderson Vally: "Originating in the town of Goslar, Germany in the early 16th century, the Gose style (pronounced “Go-zuh”) was traditionallybrewed using salted water and 50% malted wheat and was spiced with coriander and hops.  It was fermented with both traditional yeast and lactic bacteria, giving it a slight tartness, similar to that of a Berliner Weisse.  The brewing of Gose eventually migrated to Leipzig, Germany by the turn of the 18thcentury and became the most popular style in the region by 1900, only to virtually disappear after World War II brought destruction to the breweries and hard economic times." 

10 comments:

  1. I used to hate sours. Many of them have grown on me over the years and some I even like (Aslin, I'm looking at you). I've also never been a big Anderson Valley fan. I remember back in the last century, it would always be sitting there next to the Sierra, the Pete's Wicked, the Tuppers Hop Pocket, the Old Dominion, and the Blue Ridge. It always cost a couple of bucks more ($8.99 vs. $6.99 for example). And someone would always think it must be better because it cost more. And it wasn't. Their original winter solstice was one of the worst beers I've ever had. A bottle of overpriced spices (although checking the historical records, it seems I enjoyed the 2013 version immensely). Still, I haven't rated any of their other 8 beers I've had over 3.5 stars which is pretty low for me and my inflated grading scale (I always feel guilty voting down something so lovely as beer which, worst case scenario, will still get you drunk).

    I read the long-winded description of this beer. Lemon, tropical fruit, guava, peach, sea salt. Lovely. I get none of that. None at all. Just a mouthful of sourness. Which leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. And of course this made me thirsty. Which made me drink it faster. Which made my thirstier. At least now I'm done with it. And Ro likes it so she is going to drink her half. 2 out of 5 I can't come up with anything since nothing has ever come out of Boonville, California. Too far north for any San Francisco comments. Too far south for a Humboldt County reference. I'm out. Out to find another beer to wash out my mouth with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Bill said...I'm about halfway thru and struggling with each mouth puckering sip (or Jay, is it mother puckering?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always liked sours when I am super thirsty. Post seven mile run today I thought I might like this a little better. It was a little bit too much sour in my opinion. I'll order a sour as a break between heavy beers just to be adventurous but they will never be something I reach for first. 3 out of 5 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the name and the label. I might like the beer more if it was 95 degrees out and I just finished mowing the lawn. However, since it's winter, it just a uninteresting sour. I generally like sours, but - as Bill noted - this one just doesn't deliver much besides sournesss and vague ideas of undefined fruit. I do like the bear with antlers, though. I give it 2.25 out of 5 sour patch kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still trying to find a sour that I like. This isn’t the one. And after all those porters. Humbug. 2 outta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep. Not sure what to say. Don't remember having had any sours or Goze before. After this one I'm not exactly inspired to have more. That said I might like to try an old-world german version. But I wont try to hard to make it happen soon. After a few sips the tart was less of a shock and towards the end I didnt have an issue drinking it - but I'm not sure I really enjoyed it. Sour beer is not my thing. I do very much appreciate the 24DOB for new experiences and for widening the horizons: thanks again for including us in this great annual event. If I have to rate, maybe I'd say 2.7?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - the aroma gives absolutely no hint of what is coming! This tastes more like a cider to me, very tart. I kinda like it, but it is pretty one dimensional. I don't get the flavors in the description as Bill noted. I give it 2.5 skittlebrau's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, the aroma was weird. Reminded me of my glue sniffing days

      Delete
  8. Man. Pucker up! Quite the transition from the porter 3 peat. Ok but a bit too much for me. Might be better with some salty tortilla chips. Which I don't have

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, have become more interested in the sours. Not my fave sour, but a really interesting taste, and actually causes me to pause and ask - what is actually in this beer. I giving this a 3.0/5.0 based mostly on taste, and partially on effort. I mean from the solar paneled brewery, to the long name, to illustration on the can, a lot of work obviously went into this beer.

    Also, I am not sure if Nick Lowe's "The Gee and the Rick and the Three Card Trick" was partial inspiration for the name of this beer, but I am going to choose to believe so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWulOwuHJLU

    ReplyDelete