Monday, December 24, 2018

Day 24: Tröegs Independent Brewing Mad Elf Ale





Why We Picked It: When we think of Christmas and beer, we often think of Mad Elf. Once more limited and unavailable in six packs, we were excited to find this on the shelf and know its a strong finish to the beer advent. It does change  bit year to year, so there is always some variation is flavor. Warning: It packs a punch! So if you are forced to hold your tongue while having conversations with disagreeable relatives, it may losen tongues quickly.

What Tröegs  Says About It:  The holidays at Tröegs start with our inner Mad Elf momentarily taking over the brew deck. So blame “him” for this cheerful ruby red creation reminiscent of ripened cherries, raw honey and cocoa with notes of cinnamon, clove and allspice.


ABV: 11% 
IBU: 18
Hops: Hallertau, Saaz

Fun Facts: The story of Med Elf, per  Billy Penn: "
The story begins in Harrisburg, where John and Chris Trogner were presiding over Troegs, then a small brewery that had been open for just six years. They were putting together variety packs for Christmas, not exactly a fun process. It involved them placing different beers into six packs, one-by-one, and the tedium boiled over into what John Trogner describes as “delirium.”


At some point, a delivery truck came with some extra wine barrels. In their delirious state, making a holiday beer and putting it into a wine barrel sounded like a good idea. They discussed cherries and honey for flavor and because it was the holidays the brothers figured “it sure would be nice to have 11 percent beer to go along with friends and family." 

The original recipe for Mad Elf was born. After speaking with a couple of local breweries who expressed interest, the Trogners decided to make a batch of 20 to 30 kegs. But they’d never made a beer as strong as Mad Elf. Their closest was the Troegenator, at 8 percent. They combined cherries, malt and yeast the best way they knew how and let it sit.  

Three days or so later, they were giving a tour of the brewery when John Trogner recalls the intense aroma of honey and cherries. The Troegs brewery did not normally smell of honey and cherries. So they went to check: Turned out the yeast had foamed about three times more than an average beer, and their concoction exploded through the top of the fermenter tank.  

“It was all over the ground,” Trogner says. “A sea of froth, like 20 feet. It frothed out so much.”

They lost about half the batch. The other half didn’t explode onto a floor, but it went nearly as quickly at local bars. Mad Elf was an immediate success. The name came from Trogner’s brother-in-law during a drunken brainstorming session, and a local Harrisburg artist sketched the image of the elf."

7 comments:

  1. Annual tradition! One that is. As much as I love the name, the brewery, the concept, the ABV, and the art, I just don't like the beer. Somehow every year I forget how much freakin' honey is in this beer. And you can definitely taste the cherries too and I am not a cherry fan. But it wouldn't be the holidays without a Mad Elf! No on to composing my wrap-up post.....

    This gets 2.5 out of the 5 people in Pennsylvania who can name the state capital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may fill out your survey but where is the fun in that? I want open ended response category options so Scott has to code them all. So yet another great 24 days of beer in my humble opinion. I hope to always find 23 others to share the love with. So while the rest of my family attends Christmas Mass, I will finish my Mad Elf while blogging about the true meaning of December. Here are my final rankings:

    Solid standby that never fails

    Sierra Celebration - 5

    Outstanding New Finds that I plan on working into my regular rotation

    Jailbreak Special Lady - 4.25
    Dogfish 75 minute - 4.25
    Flying Dog Night School Hazy - 4

    An old friend I had forgotten about but must visit more often

    Nitro Merlin - 4

    Another regular in the McNary household

    Atlas Rowdy - 4

    More new finds that I may not seek out but sure won't turn down

    Florida Cracker - 3.75
    Flying Dog Cold Brew - 3.75
    DuClaw For Pete's Sake - 3.75
    Pixan Pepper - 3.75
    Harpoon Dunkin - 3.75
    Daylight Savings - 3.5

    Adequate but nothing special

    Bell's Winter - 3
    Uinta Farmside Saison - 3

    Will only consume as part of the 24 days of beer

    Mad Elf - 2.5
    Anderson Solstice - 2.5

    Will actively avoid consuming again

    Narwhal - 2
    Pagoda - 2
    Red Shedman Honey Rye - 2
    Death Before Disco - 2
    Stone Ruination - 2
    Anderson Valley Kimmie - 2

    Would cross the street to avoid having to drink one. May even order a Budweiser first.

    Uinta Yard Sale - 1

    Happy Holidays and I say we do it again next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mad Elf is clearly having an effect. I left out the Boulevard. 4 stars. Big fan. Off to wrap presents and/or pass out on the couch. Just need 43 fantasy points form Jared Cook tonight for this to be a solid evening.

      Delete
  3. Nursed this one all day to avoid an afternoon crash. I could do with a bit less honey, but definitely a fan of the boozy cherriness. Too me, along with Celebration and Southern Tier's 2Xmas, these are holiday beer staples that capture the flavors of the season in a wonderful way. I can't imagine drinking any of those in July, but they fit the Xmas season. I give this 4 out of 5 Tiny Tims... And good good us everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *And god bless us everyone. (No idea how autocorrect ended up with that).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Christmas Eve, and thank you for inviting me again to join in this great event. Tomorrow will be a sad day when I don't have a beer with a Sharpie'd number on it waiting for me in the fridge. Many of these beers made me realize how narrow my tastes are - a good solid IPA, either just plain hoppy or citrusy/fruity, and I'm happy. I would definitely pass on the syrupy, flavored beers (Mad Elf included). The porters - I really enjoyed them but would never choose to buy a 6-pack of. So, what I like about this month is, despite the fact that I might not always choose a wide variety of beers, I have such a good time trying them all, even the ones that I complain about. OK...hoping I've stalled enough that the kids are falling asleep and I can go do my Santa duties. Have a Merry Christmas all! (where applicable)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete