Sunday, December 23, 2018

Day 23: Stone Brewing Stone Ruination Double IPA 2.0






Why We Picked It: Need another good double IPA. Plus, we will all need a good hard drink with the holidays upon us.

What Dogfish Says About It: Stone Ruination IPA was the first full-time brewed and bottled West Coast Double IPA on the planet. As craft beer has evolved over the years, so too have techniques for maximizing hop flavors and aromas. When we updated this incarnation in 2015, we employed dry hopping and hop bursting to squeeze every last drop of piney, citrusy, tropical, punk, metal & hard rock essence from the hops that give this beer its hugely assertive character. Now we’ve arrived at its newest evolutionary form by shoving it into the bottle unfiltered (aka sans filtre) and bringing it to you in its most excellently raw form. This beer has always been unbridled. Now it’s unfiltered.


ABV: 8.5% 

IBU: 100+
Featured Hops: Magnum, Nugget, Centennial, Simcoe, Citra® & Azacca

Fun Facts: 
Founded by Greg Koch and Steve Wagner, Stone Brewing has come a long way since opening up in San Diego, California in 1996. We have been listed on the Inc. 500 | 5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies list 11 times, and has been called the “All-time Top Brewery on Planet Earth” by BeerAdvocate magazine twice. Stone Brewing is the eighth-largest craft brewer in the U.S. and with our breweries in Richmond, Virginia & Berlin, Germany, we join artisanal brewers across the world in the quest to show the public that there are more…and better…choices beyond the world of industrial beer. 

3 comments:

  1. This beer explodes with a bouquet of hop aromas and flavors. Just let it linger in your mouth and it's like a never ending gobstopper of different hop flavors. I tend to prefer a little more malt profile in my double IPAs but not in this one since the hops should dominate. Love the freahness too. 5 golden hop bouquets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I was shocked that I'd never had this. Seems like I've seen it for years, but I guess I never committed. Must say I'm glad I didn't buy the sixer. This is really bitter. It's not that hard to make a juicy, citrusy double IPA, but this most certainly isn't it. Tastes boozier than it is. And too many bad hops. My only consolation is that I had a Celebration in my fridge to chase this. 2 out of 5 Jefferson Davisisessess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a long day of kid wrangling and watching my fantasy team choke horribly during the championship game (my money one Bill, not D&R), I need a high quality strong beer... And this one fits the bill perfectly. I expect some "good" bitterness with an IPA and even doubles. This has a nice bitter bite, but melts away quickly. I still can't smell much, so can't speak the aroma. Of course, besides the beer, the other saving grace on he day is the Seahawks playing a hell of a game against the Chiefs dso far. I give the beer 4 out of 5 Chris Carsons.

    ReplyDelete