Thursday, December 20, 2018

Day 20: Cigar City Brewing Florida Cracker





Why We Picked It: We wanted to compare a witbiers, and this is the follow up to Bell's. Also, Cigar City refers to Ybor City in Tampa. Some know Ybor as the raucous bar scene referred to in Hold Steady songs. I also know it from my vague, blurred memories when I lived there are college. Hold Steady is correct: "Ybor City is tres speedy / but they throw such killer parties.”

What Cigar City Says About It:  Tasting Notes - Citrus aromas of oranges and lime leaves mingle with bubblegum and dried flowers on the nose of this hazy and refreshing Belgian-style White Ale. High carbonation and herbaceous bitterness quench the thirst while lemon-lime esters and flavors of Valencia orange add unique depth of flavor and complexity.

ABV: 5.5% 
IBU: 18
Medal: 2015 U.S. Beer Open Championships Silver Medal Witbier Category

Fun Facts: More from Cigar City: "The Cracker Cowboys of Florida were colonial-era settlers, often of Scots-Irish descent, who arrived in Florida when Spain traded their territory of La Florida to the English. The term Cracker in Florida usage relates to the whip these “cow hunters” used to herd cattle in Florida’s Palmetto Prairies. Called Quaqueros by the Spanish, these hardy and hard working Cracker Cowboys helped to shape the history of Florida, the nation’s oldest cattle raising state. We brew Florida Cracker White Ale with unmalted wheat, orange peel and coriander and then ferment it with a Belgian yeast strain to give it a spicy and dry finish. Perfect for a warm day on the Palmetto Prairie."

6 comments:

  1. And if she says we partied, then I'm pretty sure we partied. I really don't remember. I remember we departed from our bodies. And we woke up in Ybor City. I've woken up twice in Ybor City. Definitely hungover both mornings. Overtime loss to next year's national champions is never a bad thing I guess. Although that second night hungover certainly was. Highlight was the tailgate where some inbred millennial Auburn fan marched up and asked me if I could name one famous Northwestern football player. I said, "Otto Graham." That shut him up. Bo knows superiority. But on to the beer.

    Big fan of most Cigar City beers I've had. Mmm.... Jai Alai..... Pretty excited they have just started distributing up here in the north. But I admit after last night's Belgian White, I had very low expectations. But this is quite nice. Much more citrusy which I think is why I like it. I'd actually drink this again. Pairs well with the rain that Florida is sending us which is supposed to provide us warmer than normal temperatures to accompany our weekly flooding. 3.75 out of 5 crab legs and laptops thrown from a window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Ybor City. Does anything good ever happen there? I was there 20 years ago...for an Outback Bowl game...that I never attended.

      Delete
    2. Oh, pretty good beer. Much better than last night. 3.5 out of 5 Bloomin’ Onions

      Delete
  2. Every time I see “Ybor City” I think it’s an anagram or part of a palindrome or something.

    I also like this one better than last night’s beer. I wonder if I should have put an orange slice into the Bell’s? Or would that have been cheating? Would I have to start the 24 beers over again?

    I rate this one 3.5 out of 5 sleeveless t shirts.

    And Otto Graham’s first name is *definitely* a palindrome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this was a really nice beer. I'd like to get a six pack and study them one by one. Pretty complex with all of its fancy coriander and whatnot. It is not my favorite style by any means, but very enjoyable. 3 of 5 hanging chads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Health Benefits of Beer: 15 Interesting Facts About Beer. It is proven that there are a lot of health benefits of beer. Moderate drinking of beer prevents heart diseases, boosts mental health, detoxes the body, and more.

    ReplyDelete