Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Day 18: Uinta Yard Sale




Why We Picked It: I;ve had this in the past and enjoyed it. Also, the winter theme is appropriate amd we wanted to include another lager. 


What Uinta Says About It: Golden caramel malts lay down a base for a run of honey and earthy hops in this lager brewed for those who love all things winter.



ABV: 4% 
IBU: 22
Glassware: Nonick 

Fun Facts: Per Wikipedia, "The nonik (or nonic, pronounced "no-nick") a variation on the conical design, where the glass bulges out a couple of inches from the top; this is partly for improved grip, partly to prevent the glasses from sticking together when stacked, and partly to give strength and stop the rim from becoming chipped or "nicked".[1] This design was invented by Hugo Pick, of Albert Pick & Co., who was awarded two US patents: design patent 44,616 (September 2, 1913) and patent 1,107,700 (August 18, 1914) – though the design patent was invalidated – and which was commercialized as Nonik (for "no-nick").[2][3] The design was preceded by many other bulged glass designs, dating to the mid-19th century, which differed in having a severe bulge and different purposes (a stop for a jar cover, or placement in a soda glass holder), rather than the shallow bulge of this design.[2]"




7 comments:

  1. I don't ski. I'm not Mormon. I hate lagers. I also hate winter. Perhaps I've been drinking by noon but this is horribly disappointing. Tastes like a standard lager. See above. What makes it winter? Maybe warming up with some awesome Bluejacket double IPAs makes it seem worse but this is doing nothing for me. Probably the worst of the batch. So again, I'd like to thank the 24 days of beer concept which prevented me from ever buying a sixer of this. 1 out of 5 mailmans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe even worse than a standard lager, with just a hint of skunkiness. Agree, not a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A list of things that are bland.

    1. Jimmy John's ("World's Best Sandwiches.")
    2. Dodge Stratus
    3. "Cracked Rear View," Hootie and the Blowfish
    4. All Hallmark Channel Holiday Movies
    5. The shoe section of the LL Bean Catalog. (Ok - maybe the entire LL Bean Catalog)
    6. Blue Bunny Vanilla Ice Cream
    7. Stationary bicycles
    8. Artificial flower arrangements
    9. The State of Delaware
    10. Unita Brewing Co. Yard Sale Beer.

    Sorry, Unita. I will say that this is not up to your usual standards. 1.75/5.00 Jeff Peabody's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANE8j5ay_UU




    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with the others, this beer is as bland as it comes.

    Disagree with Dan on Jimmy John's. That's a damn good sandwich at a damn good price.

    Pumped to finally post on this non Safari friendly blog. Chrome it is, thanks Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is as interesting as any lager I have ever had. That's about as backhand of a compliment as I can provide. The taste is unremarkable, but at least it does not have the annoying aftertaste of many lagers. I can give it 2.25 Bode Millers.

    I too find Jimmy John's bland, but give Delaware bonus points for Dogfish. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Hallmark movies to pass judgement. I'm pretty sure there are gazebos and romantic mix ups involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was forgettable. Forgettable means it was easy enough to put back before meeting up with some old friends from my previous middle school. Once the other alcohol got flowing, the complaints and pining for Winter break began. I had much more memorable beers after this one. 2.75 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this beer was just kind of bland and hollow. But when warmed up and flattened a bit, it tasted better. It actually reminds me of some homebrews that I made. There are some nice flavors in there, they were just too hard to find. That said, I much prefer this to something like Yuengling. I give it 2.5 golden plates

    ReplyDelete