Thursday, December 13, 2018

Day 13: Boulevard Snow & Tell Oak Aged Scotch Ale




Why We Picked It: As it is a unique style, we like to throw in a wee heavy into the mix. And, again, we are big fans of the brewery. Personally, I'm fond of the Tank 7, the 80-Acre Wheat and the  Collaboration No. 7 - Oak-Aged Lager

What Boulevard Says About It: A perfect winter beer for curling up by the fireplace, this malt blanket features prominent toffee and caramel notes with just a hint of smoked malt. A subtle spiciness is provided by hopping with Magnum, Chinook and Styrian Goldings.


ABV: 6.3% 
IBU: 25 IBU
Glassware: Pint glass

Fun Facts: "It was the summer of 1984, and John McDonald was thirsty. On vacation in Europe, the future founder of Boulevard Brewing Company wandered into a bar specializing in Belgian beers. He tried one, then another and another, amazed by the variety, the aromas, and the flavors. He was hooked."

"It took more than a year and every bit of the money he’d raised to retrofit a building, find the equipment – including a vintage 35-barrel Bavarian brewhouse – and get everything up and running. Finally, in November 1989, the first keg of Boulevard Pale Ale was ready. John loaded it into the back of his pickup and delivered it to a restaurant just a few blocks away [from the Kansas City brewer.}]"

"In 2014, Boulevard became part of the Duvel Moortgat family, a collection of artisanal breweries dedicated to the highest expression of the brewers’ art. Boulevard remains committed to its original mission, pushing boundaries and helping to re-define American beer."

Read more.

7 comments:

  1. With the kids at basketball, I'm hoping the maybe - just maybe - post before Bill.

    On to the beer: I must say I am a bit disappointed with a beer I had high hopes for. The flavor is fine with vague caramel and toffee, but it fades away quickly and leaves an empty kind of tinny after taste. I give this only 2.5 out of 5 Brett Saberhagens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm actually pretty reassured that Scott posted before me. In my defense, I have been drinking since 1 at the "company" (i.e. The Man) holiday party. But I had such low expectations of this. It may shock you all, but I don't really like booze. I like beer. So Scotch Ales have never been my favorite since they are usually the booziest of boozy beers. And seeing that this was Oak Barrel aged made me dread it even more since I do not like any barrel aged beer. Ever. But this is very smooth and tasty. Some nice caramel notes, but no booze flavor. Tastes like a really good amber. So maybe I like it because I expected the flavors that Scott expected and I don't want those flavors. 4 out of 5 Priest Holmesessesssesss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Scotch Ales so I was excited for this. I also liked the color it made in the glass. I like things that taste boozy too. IT being a Scotch ale, I thought that 6.3% was a little weak. I thought the taste was pretty good though. Solid addition to the Beer Advent in my opinion. 3.75 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first sip of this beer was not favorable, but it improved as I drank it. By the end, I found it to be pretty enjoyable with some nice malty flavors, maybe some toffee in there. But thank God there was no smoky flavor. Too many american breweries think that Scotch ales have to taste like damned scotch. Scottish ales are like british ales with less hops, and scotch ales I guess are what the Scotish people call wee-heavies. So take a british bitter (actually very balanced) and make it less hoppy and more malty cuz hops were expensive to ship way up there and you have yourself an 80 schilling scottish ale (a 60 schilling ale is about as strong as a british mild). Then turn it up a notch or two to a 90 schilling, and you've got yourself a Scotch ale. Yes, I did have to refresh my memory a bit on this, but never should it taste smoky. That I know. Anywho, this beer was pretty true to style and for that, I really appreciate it. I'd like to taste it against a Bellhaven or something similar. But for now, I'll give it 3 Axe murderers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems low abv for a wee heavy. Thought they were all, well, heavy. A session wee heavy?

    Anyway. A fine beer. Kind of warms the tummy after the first few sips.

    Being a Kansas City native (born not raised) I guess this is my hometown brewery. Always quality stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked it. Went down well. After finishing it I would easily had a second if I had one, so that a good sign - 3.75

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s been kind of an extended party day so take that into consideration but something about this really hit the spot. Not too “barelly” if you take my meaning. Flavorful but still not bitter or boozy or whatever.

    ReplyDelete