Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Day 5: Atlas Brew Works Rowdy





Why We Chose It:  We've got to support district-based breweries, and Atlas Brew Works is one of the top ones. I'm particulatly a fan of the Atlas District Common when at a Nats game. As a bonus, it's a pretty cool label.

What Atlas Says About It: Both fun and aggressive, Rowdy is a hop forward rye ale full of flavor. -- Made with three varieties of hops and a generous amount of specialty malts, Rowdy offers a complex flavor and aroma that is both aggressive and fun. The addition of malted rye to the grain bill lends a peppery and distinct character to the beer which complements the bitterness and floral notes of brewhouse hop additions. Finally, this copper-hued ale receives a liberal addition of dry hops in the fermenting vessel, imparting citrus aromas and a crisp, clean finish.

ABV: 6.2 
IBU: 50
Plato: 14.5



Fun Facts: Atlas is based in Northwest, DC, and I have no idea why I haven't been yet! Interestingly, it is 100% solar powered and you can even track the brewery's solar productions here: https://www.solrenview.com/SolrenView/mainFr.php?siteId=3868


9 comments:

  1. 8:30 pm and no comments? I figured all us Feds would be starting at Noon today. I would have done that myself, but I had the 5th grade orchestra concert to attend. Which was combined with the band. And the choir. They sang "Here Comes the Sun".
    And closed with YMCA. So in short, I should have had this at Noon followed by 6 more.

    According to Untappd, this is my 21st checkin of a Rowdy. And I am quite sure that is a gross understatement. One of Ro's favorite beers and I enjoy it myself immensely. I'm never going to put a rye beer above a triple-hopped, citrusy IPA brewed yesterday, but if you're going to have a rye beer, this is a great one.

    Atlas is one of the few local breweries I have not made a pilgrimage to. Enjoy most of their beers so that needs to be done. Sometimes you need to mix in an old favorite to the 24 days of beer. 4 out of 5 Village People.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I foresee a trip to Atlas in our future. Let's make it happen.

      Delete
  2. Pilsners, saisons, and ryes are probably my least preferred beers. That being said, some come along that are exceptions. While I will never be a fan of ryes, this one is one of the more tolerable ones I have had. It also does not hurt that the only other time I checked this is was post GW relay where we took home the 'ship. So even it is not my first choice, I still have good memories tied to it which always ups a beer's rating for me. 3.5 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had it plenty of times. Like it just fine but never crosses my mind to pick up a six pack.

    Has anyone been to the brewery? Does it even exist??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. This is amazing. I give it a 5. I love Rye Pale ales and Rye/IPAs when done right, and this one is done right. Perfect amount of hop aroma, perfect biscuity malt characteristic, and perfect spiciness from the Rye. It started out great, and finished even better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I tasted this, I kept thinking about the Monument City Rye 51 - which I have really enjoyed. Perhaps I should give this one its own consideration, but in comparison to Monument City's Rye, I felt like this one fell somewhat short. Smooth, but something about the flavor - just struck me as meh. 2.5/5.0 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They don’t always have this at Nats Park but when they do it’s one of my favorite beers - this and Raised By Wolves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had some great Atlas beers.

    ReplyDelete