Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Day 19: Bell's Brewery Winter White Ale






Why We Picked It: Bill suggested we incude a witbier and Bell's is one of the finest breweries in the country. If you like IPAs and haven't had Two-Hearted, go get it soon. 

What Bell's Says About It: An alternative to dark and heavy winter warmers and stouts, Winter White is a stylish and refreshing Wheat Ale. Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley and wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance, Winter White is a beer for embracing winter.


ABV: 5% 
IBU: N/A

Glassware: Spiegelau or wheat glass

Fun Facts: Founded in 1985, Bell's is one of the true forefathers of the microbrewery movement. According the Bell's, "Our journey began with a 15-gallon soup kettle, a quest for better beer and countless batches of homebrew. The passion and personality that began Bell’s continues today through our breweries and Eccentric Café. We continue to grow and evolve, dedicated to our mission; to be fiercely independent, 100% family owned, deeply rooted to our community, committed to the environment and brewers of inspired beer."

3 comments:

  1. Wait, I suggested we include a witbier? I don't see myself saying that. Was I drunk at the time? There is only one witbier that I like. Allagash White. And that gets it's own special place since I had a secret line from Maine when it was still not distributed down here. And I attended the wedding of one of the brewers. Which featured a lot of Allagash. And a lot of rain, but I digress. Anyway, I still like Allagash White which is odd since most witbiers are not my thing. I like most Bell's, but this is not one of them. Poor man's Allagash. And way too sweet and "bananaey". 3 out of 5 Nazi industrialists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter does not make me think of witbiers. Winter makes me think of dark beers. This was still pretty good but good for a witbier. I think Bill says it best when he says Poor Man's Allagash White though. If only I had wrote this sooner! 3.25 out 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. I see it as a gateway belgian white. I actually don't tend to go for yeasty wheat beers, whether they are German or Belgian, just because the yeast flavor can be a bit much (unless it is really fresh, in Germany, and served with some nice schnitzel). That's probably why I like this. The yeast flavors are less pronounced, and the hop bitterness is a bit more apparent and the spicy aroma adds a really nice touch. I'm not sure what makes it a winter beer, but it works for me. I give it a solid 4.5 chocolate covered waffles.

    ReplyDelete