Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fuller's ESB Ale



ESB was launched into the Fuller's family in 1971, as a winter brew to replace a beer named Old Burton Extra. The potential of the beer was soon realised and ESB was installed as a permanent fixture, creating an immediate impact.

Not only was it one of the strongest regularly brewed draught beers in the country (at 5.5% ABV), it was also one of the tastiest, and as the awareness of the beer grew, so did its popularity. ESB's reputation was soon enhanced after being named CAMRA's (Campaign for Real Ale) Beer of the Year in 1978, and the beer has not stopped winning since!

With three CAMRA Beer of the Year awards, two World Champion Beer awards, and numerous other gold medals to speak of, ESB is, quite simply, the Champion Ale.

Tasting Notes: Brewed at 5.5% ABV in cask and 5.9% ABV in bottle, ESB is a true liquid legend, and should be savoured as such. If you are familiar with this beer, you will undoubtedly be aware of the unique glass that ESB is presented in. This glass was specially selected to help enhance the experience of drinking ESB, so why not visit the online store and purchase a glass to enjoy ESB the way it is meant to be served?

ESB has a wonderful rich mahogany appearance. Taking in the nose, the beer is bursting with cherry and orange, balanced by soft malty toffee and caramel notes. The flavour delivers everything you would expect from such a full-bodied ale. The unique blend of Northdown, Target, Challenger and Goldings hops imparts grassy, peppery notes on the tongue along with intense citrus fruit characters of grapefruits, oranges and lemons. The blend of Pale Ale and Crystal malts in the brew give a biscuity, toffee element to the beer. A smooth, mellow bitterness lingers on the palate to give a superbly satisfying finish.

16 comments:

  1. Best beer of the summer beers that we've reviewed so far. Still no match at all for that wonderful beer that sells for $17.99 a case at your local 7-11. But I could throw back several of these and be pretty happy about it.

    Rating: 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these descriptions are written by the glassware industry. Why must I purchase a unique glass for each beer?

    Good call having this the day after the Goose Island Honker's. I like this, but not as much. As Ro said, it's too sweet. I think that's more malt and less hops but I'm no beer expert, just a drunk. So I'd take Goose Island over this, but definitely a quality alcoholic beverage.

    I'm surprised Brad likes this more than the pilsners or some of the summer beers.

    In other news, I put my Watermelon can in the fridge today for Friday. I'm already scared. My only question is whether it will be worse than the Peach beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, I just double-checked and realized watermelon is tomorrow. That is no way to celebrate Flag Day.

      Delete
  3. Agreed with Bill/Ro, this was a great 1 -2 punch especially considering i drank both tonight. I liked this beer very much but not as much as the goose. I rank this #2. I did taste the fruit so probably not going to beer an all year round beer. Plus i was drinking this out of the bottle while driving my John Deere tractor mowing my grass. So it had a hint of grass in it as well

    Rating 8

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do taste the pepper at the back of my mouth. This is a very nice beer.

    And I agree about the glass industry comment! I was just talking about that the other day. I have had every beer straight from the bottle and can't believe it would be made exceptional because of a type of glass.

    I have had the watermelon beer before and it is not as strong as the peach one. But I'm not going to say that the majority of this group will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge fan. Can't place what it tastes like, but definitely have had somethine very similiar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a pretty good beer and reminds me of drinking a Killians. I was unaware that I was supposed to drink this out of a special glass until today, so needless to say, I drink straight from the bottle. It was still very enjoyable though and I could have a few more of these. 7 out of 10

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a fan. Tastes bitter to me. Check minus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy hated it so I drank hers. After finishing hers I was still unsure about this beer, so I'm not drinking mine. After drinking nearly two of these, I think I like it. Although I would not say this is a summer beer, more of a winter beer. This beer reminded me of something that I could not put my finger on, but midway through the second one I think it taste a little like Grand Marnier. I give it an 8.5 out of 10, B+

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must have been good, because Phil drank mine before I got home. Maybe I should get a lock?

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHAH! I'm sure that's not the first time someone has mentioned getting a lock to keep Phil out of the beer fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait a minute, are we overlooking something here? Tony's exact words: "Katy hated it, so I drank hers..." I once saw Katy give a homeless man a nickel, on the condition that he give her a sip of his warm, stale 40oz steel reserve malt liquor. So Tony's comment is clearly a fabrication. What next Tony? Charlize Theron rode in on a unicorn and asked you on a date? Try to make your lies more believable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Drank it a day late...that flavor that seems so familiar to all of us...its basically a scotch ale. Tastes great, high ABV, delicious! Not something you can drink very much of

    ReplyDelete
  13. Due to excessive consumption of other brews, I chose to holdoff on this one until my taste buds recovered. It was worth the wait. While I usually like ESBs, this was unexpected in flavor and the toffee made it almost feels like a "light stout." A quality brew, but not so good it will be the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is a good example of an English ESB, but I'm not a big fan of ESB's. Does have a little of that whiskey flavor in the background. For my palette I'd give it a C-, but would recommend it to someone who knows they like ESB's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I immediately poured this one in a glass and was scared when I saw the darker hue - I am a chicken when it comes to 'dark' beer. My first taste made me think of coffee. Then after a few more I thought about a brandy-infused chocolate I tried at Christmas. This is definitely not what I would consider a summer beer. Half-way through and I cannot decide if I want to finish...

    ReplyDelete